Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermitant problem with decorative low volatage fixture

I have a decorative fixture that is ceiling mounted. It's one of those wire sculpture fixtures of a guy parachuting. It has two blubs that connect to the wires of the fixture, both 12V. The fixture is a low voltage fixture that must have the transformer in the base which is mounted to the ceiling box. The fixture is connected to two three-way switches. My problem is, one time you flick the switch and it works and then the next time you flick the switch and it doesn't. When it is working, you can turn it on and off from both switches without a problem. When it isn't working, neither switch will do anything. The fixture is about 7-8 years old and worked fine for the first 6-7 years. This problem has been around form a while, but for the last month, I have been trying it every time I walk by the switches and I cannot determine any pattern regarding when it works and when it doesn't. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks for any help.

one of two things, actually three. the bulbs are burning out - sometimes the filaments make and break, the transformer is gradually burning out and the 120 feed is loose at one or two switches. if you find the transformer burnt out, when you get a replacement put a 4 amp diode in series with one secondary lead. this will change the ac to half wave dc and prolong the life of the bulbs. some quiet switches [three ways] use a mercury capsule to make and break the circuit and the yoke is marked on the yoke UP make sure its not upside down.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do some investigating and post back.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =