Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of paint to use on basement floors/walls?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of paint to use on basement floors/walls?

I would like to paint my concrete basement walls and floors. I'm thinking maybe a gloss white just to give it a little life down there.

What type of paint should I use? Do I need some type of primer as well? Perhaps something that I can pick up locally from Menards or Home Depot? Any recommendations on a specific brand?

Thanks.

Why not just talk to the paint dept. at Menards?

One test a person might want to do is to cover a wall area and an area of the floor with plastic, and let it set there for a day or two, to see when you lift it, if there is condensation under the plastic.

Obviously, you don't want to paint with plain old paint if you have a water issue going on from poor drainage outside, or a high water table or something.

But if your basement always seems dry.....

Latex paint breathes and sticks on cement and block good. If it gets damp from the outside in, it will flake off.

An epoxy paint on the floor, or an epoxy clear coat will be very durable. Menards has treated their very own concrete floors with this.

But I'd just talk to them. After all, yo will be buying the paint from them.

Comment

I was planning on talking with the guys at Menards but I thought I'd just see if anyone else had anything to share or recommend. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =