X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, I just got the head performance curves from Rule:

Rule 4000: 2,600 GPH @ 7' / 2,600 GPH @ 10'
    Rule 3700: 3,000 GPH @ 7' / 2,100 GPH @ 10'
    I can go with the second curve for the 3700, but for one to pump the same amount of water at two different heads is impossible. As the head goes up, the flow goes down. It's simple physics. Unless it's a typo, it's pretty hard to give them any credit for having actually done a pump test on their products.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
      The Zoeller M53 and Aquanot II ... will pass solids that your bilge pump would not dream of doing so.
      I agree that the ability to safely pass solids is a factor to consider, as per my last post. - Although I wonder what type of solids would ever actually get into a sealed sump / french drain pit? Maybe now we are BOTH overthinking it.
      Again, virtually every sump system out there uses a 12v dc pump for battery backup. They can't ALL be failing constantly. (although many do.)

The Zoeller M53 and Aquanot II are very reliable... The reliability and testing really is not required like you think it is. These pumps work! It's that simple!
      No, it's not. Once again how about we stick to the facts? (no offense intended.) I'm having a hard enough time deciding as it is! Both of those pumps are VERY prone to float & switch failure. So say all the retailers who sell them, the overwhelming online reviews, and even a Zoeller tech I spoke with. The pumps themselves, though, will last forever. I personally know 2 people within 6 houses of me that had brand new M53's fail due to bad floats, and one of the two that my contractor initially put into my pit HAD A BAD SWITCH OUT OF THE BOX.

So please, a little reality here ....

As for testing, both the Zoeller tech and the Storm Pro tech told me that testing is MANDATORY at least once a month. It's especially important if you had hard water (which I do) as calcium deposits can build up & clog the impeller.

Anyway, all I wanted was to here from a few long-term members who had this system installed. Sadly, just like all the other forums, there is no one. This system does not seem to exist in the real world. I'm going to stay with AC pumps, including for the battery backup system. (will use a Sumpro battery unit with 4 batteries.)
      Last edited by Cableaddict; 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cableaddict View Post
        I agree that the ability to safely pass solids is a factor to consider, as per my last post. - Although I wonder what type of solids would ever actually get into a sealed sump / french drain pit? Maybe now we are BOTH overthinking it.
        Again, virtually every sump system out there uses a 12v dc pump for battery backup. They can't ALL be failing constantly.
        French drains use a perforated pipe surrounded by crushed stone and are sometimes connected to gutter drains and outside storm drains as well. so the debris will typically be stones and earthen materials, leaves and small twigs. The M53 will pass 1/2" spherical solids and has enough power to chew up twigs. Larger solids will not pass through the holes in perf. pipe and if they do get into the line somehow they tend to remain in place as they are heavier.

Some 12 volt pumps are quite reliable others aren't so. The good ones tend to last quite a while.

Both of those pumps are VERY prone to float & switch failure. So say all the retailers who sell them, the overwhelming online reviews, and even a Zoeller tech I spoke with. The pumps themselves, though, will last forever. I personally know 2 people within 6 houses of me that had brand new M53's fail due to bad floats, and one of the two that my contractor initially put into my pit HAD A BAD SWITCH OUT OF THE BOX.
        I have experienced very few failures of the switches on M53 pumps myself. In fact the one in my basement has over 20 years of use with the original built in switch. You can always install the BN53 model pump without the switch and use a piggyback float switch if you want. When I have had pumps that had switches fail I rewired eliminating the built in float switch and installed the piggy back float switch. On many installs I use them anyway so I can have custom settings adjusted for the pit size.

As for testing, both the Zoeller tech and the Storm Pro tech told me that testing is MANDATORY at least once a month. It's especially important if you had hard water (which I do) as calcium deposits can build up & clog the impeller.
        Testing is a good thing, even on my own pump I don't test it all that often. My water table tends to come in seasons so I inspect and test before the spring thaw and sometimes before unusually heavy storms are expected like this past week when Irene came through.

Battery systems do require more testing and maintenance due to their complexity and battery maintenance needs. As long as the charger is not overcharging very little electrolyte replenishment is required with new batteries, but as they get older the need becomes more frequent. If the cells are allowed to go dry the battery is toast and usually about the time the battery starts requiring electrolyte replenishment on a regular basis the capacity is falling off anyway. Specific gravity testing as per the instructions I linked earlier will reveal that drop in capacity.

I'm going to stay with AC pumps, including for the battery backup system. (will use a Sumpro battery unit with 4 batteries.)
        The Sumpro system is a good one as far as 120-volt inverter power supplies but inverters tend to have losses that decrease the run time power available that 12-vdc systems do not have. I don't care much for their 120-volt and 12-volt pumps they offer though.
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
          I can go with the second curve for the 3700, but for one to pump the same amount of water at two different heads is impossible. As the head goes up, the flow goes down. It's simple physics. Unless it's a typo, it's pretty hard to give them any credit for having actually done a pump test on their products.
          That was a misprint on my part, sorry.

The 4000 does 3000 @ 7' & 2600 @ 10'
          The 3700 does 2600 @ 7' & 2100 @ 10'

- now corrected, above.
          Last edited by Cableaddict; 08-31-2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

No agenda, I don't have a dog in this fight. I was just stating a fact.

Comment

My apologies! This thread took an odd twist for a bit. very frustrating.

- I appreciate your input on this difficult subject.

Comment

French drains use a perforated pipe surrounded by crushed stone and are sometimes connected to gutter drains and outside storm drains as well. so the debris will typically be stones and earthen materials, leaves and small twigs.
                Ah, now I understand where you're coming from. My system is an INTERIOR french drain. Sheathed pvc. It could still clog, theoretically, but I doubt with twigs. Any thoughts on this?

The Sumpro system is a good one as far as 120-volt inverter power supplies but inverters tend to have losses that decrease the run time power available that 12-vdc systems do not have. I don't care much for their 120-volt and 12-volt pumps they offer though.
                So what do you recommend as a battery backup system, given that 12v DC pumps are pretty much all questionable?

I figure on using a Sumpro with 2 extra batteries (in addition to a Generac 200K generator, which I just installed) to run a 3/4 HP StormPro ac pump. - This is the only pump that, on paper at least, can give me enough GPH and also run on the Sumpro's current limit. (12a continuous)

I just don't see any other option, except maybe ac pumps with a NexPump 2-pump system as backup.

Comment

My apologies! This thread took an odd twist for a bit. very frustrating.
                  Yes it did, but most of that was caused by the spammer who joined in trying to inject some more hype for his product. His username kind of says it all. Most of us don't appreciate spammers, especially the ones who came here for no other reason.

Generac 200K generator
                  I hope that's another typo, cause with a generator that size, you can run the whole neighborhood.

This site might be helpful to you when talking about running motors with generators and inverters: SIZING A GENERATOR FOR ELECTRIC MOTOR LOADS
                  It tells the different code letters for motors and the starting amps needed to get one going. It's usually 3 times or better the running amps.

Comment

You have 84 gpm coming into this french drain?

If your flow is substantially less than that I'd match the pump closer to avoid cycling which is the enemy of motor life...

Motor starting uses a much higher amperage than run so that puts heat into the windings.

A motor that runs continuously will last forever while the one that starts every 2 minutes is doomed....

I have a customer with a home on an active spring that runs 1 BN-53 almost continuously with a 2nd one as a trim unit used during peak flows. They also have a Aquanot II as the back up with a standby generator. A power outage and generator failure during a peak flow is really the only time that they have to worry, which hasn't happened yet.

I've had very good luck with the Aquanot 12 volt pump knock on wood...

Sounds like debris is not a problem in your system.

Sorry about the confusing turn of the thread but when spammers arrive it sometimes gets hard to sort out the guilty parties...
                    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

It's all good.

Thanks, I'm going to look at the Aquanot as a potential backup, though I still think the StormPro ac pump, backed up by a 4-battery Sumpro, is probably best. Expensive, but I have a "absolutely cannot fail" situation.

Speedbump, Yes, another typo! - Actually another mental lapse, but I'll blame it on my typing. (g)
                      Generac 200a unit, of course.

Comment

food for thought. everybody is assuming the float system for pump start will fail. there is a system out there that uses a common metallic probe, an intermediate probe and a high level probe. when water in the pit rises and hits the top probe, an electronic circuit switches on starting the pump. as water level drops and doesn't make contact with the intermediate probe the switching circuit disconnects and the pump stops. we used those electronic level probes at western mass electric company for sump pumps installed in our upper reservoir control houses.

Comment

Thanks for the insult buddy after I merely joined to share my experience.

Buy the Aquanut - when the sensor fails say hello to 0 gph.

If the NexPump sensor fails, it still pumps 5000 gph and would tell me immediately.

Pull the plug on any other setup, disconnect the sensor(s), it is still running?

Comment

to whom are you referring to "insult" me or the previous poster? [hayzee]

Comment

It must have been me...

I'm good with that...
                              I'll never recommend a bilge pump as a sump pump so he'll just have to get over it!

I'll keep replacing them every 2-3 years in my boat when they die though....
                              Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Thanks for the insult buddy after I merely joined to share my experience.
                                Scratch the word "experience" and insert "product".

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =