Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
    Everybody is assuming the float system for pump start will fail. there is a system out there that uses a common metallic probe, an intermediate probe and a high level probe... we used those electronic level probes at western mass electric company for sump pumps installed in our upper reservoir control houses.
    Electronic sensor-switches (replacing mechanical floats) are common now, though I never heard of a home system using three sensors at three levels. That's some serious redundancy. Are you saying that such a detection / switching system is available right now, to the public, for use in sump pits?

The best pump sensors I can find are the LevelGuard, and the Ion. - There is also the "Ion Genesis" controller, which additionally alternates between two pumps. The idea is that this lessens cycling, and gives the pumps more time to cool. (It would be a smart feature to add to the NexPump) The downside is that the two pumps can't run at the same time. They should improve it by adding a second, higher sensor, which tells the system to run both pumps at once.

One of the very smart features of the NexPump (sigh...) is that if it detects a faulty sensor, it turns the pumps ON. - so you may eventually burn out a pump, but at least your basement won't flood. No other sensor system does this.
    Last edited by Cableaddict; 09-02-2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

If NexPump ever makes a system utilizing ac pumps (and something like the Sumpro battery) but with their electronics, that would really be something. Probably too expensive, though. Most people want the least expensive option. That's insane, IMO, but it's also reality. Personally, I'd buy it.

Hey, Mr. NexPump inventor: (Since I know you're reading this thread)

Why not make an AC-pump version of your system, with NO battery, and sell that as the primary system? Then the cost is even less than your current system. assuming the AC pumps can run for 30 seconds dry, there is no downside. Then, folks could use your existing product as backup, in a 24" wide pit. This would be a very solid, maintenance-free system. I'd buy it right now if it were available.

Icing on the cake would be:

1: Dual sensors, so if one fails, the unit looks to #2, before letting the (AC) pumps run continuously. The a warning, of course, that one sensor has failed.

2: Pump alternation, ala the Ion Genesis, but with yet another sensor (mounted higher) that turns on BOTH pumps whe the water gets too high.

One can dream .....
      Last edited by Cableaddict; 09-02-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I think you are on to something here. Except that it could been done even easier just by adding only a switched ac line and changing the programming.

1) User adds any 120 pump (within current range of switched outlet)
        2) ac pump + NexPump pump 1 installed at same level
        3) Install NexPump pump 2 slightly above

Operation:
        Sensor on - turn on switched outlet. If current = 0; ac pump does not exist or is burned out. Turn on NexPump pump 1. As programmed now, if sump not empty in time = X; turn on pump 2

Errors in ac pump line would be easy to detect with slight changes to existing programming
        eg)
        If current drops in NexPump pumps (indicating sump clear), turn off NexPumps. Wait 1 second; if ac line is still drawing current; then obstruction exists in ac line. Turn off ac line, send error message to user to check ac pump. Until user manually clears the alarm, run NexPumps only.

If ac line current = 0, but sensor is on; then ac pump has failed
        Last edited by NexPumpowner; 09-03-2011, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Boy, are we killing this posting. AND all the bad-mouthing. I thought we were in "Garden-Web!"

Comment

It got close for a few minutes...
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
              It got close for a few minutes...
              Kinda' like my wife.

Ba-DUM-pum! Thank you, I'll be here all week....

Comment

Originally posted by NexPumpowner View Post

1) User adds any 120 pump (within current range of switched outlet)
                2) ac pump + NexPump pump 1 installed at same level
                3) Install NexPump pump 2 slightly above

Operation:
                Sensor on - turn on switched outlet. If current = 0; ac pump does not exist or is burned out. Turn on NexPump pump 1. As programmed now, if sump not empty in time = X; turn on pump 2

Errors in ac pump line would be easy to detect with slight changes to existing programming
                eg)
                If current drops in NexPump pumps (indicating sump clear), turn off NexPumps. Wait 1 second; if ac line is still drawing current; then obstruction exists in ac line. Turn off ac line, send error message to user to check ac pump. Until user manually clears the alarm, run NexPumps only.

If ac line current = 0, but sensor is on; then ac pump has failed
                This is not bad. Do you think it's an actual possibility?

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I think I'll call "them" on Tuesday to discuss this. I'll post back here if anything sounds promising.

Comment

There is a whole lote of reinventing the wheel ideas here....

Alternating Dual Pump Control with Alarm

High Water Level Alarm

Auto Dialer

Similar Products by Liberty Pumps
                  Last edited by Redwood; 09-03-2011, 03:53 PM.
                  I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                  Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                  Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                  Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

That's really nice. Better than the Ion Genesis, as it alternates but also turns both ac pumps on if heavy water. - Exactly what I was asking for, above.

Ughh, more to consider .....

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =