Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

We finished floor and sub floor and now

Please tell us nails we should use on wall frame as well as on roll roofing.
    I have been told 16d common for wall framing ...correct me if am wrong...

Two of the four walls will have dimensional lumber 2x4 at 16" center
    and other two will have pressure treated 2x6 again 16" center ..so advice accordingly.
    also what type of nails to be used when we put t1-11?

16D will be fine for the framing, make sure you use acq/acc approved nails for the treated lumber.
    If your using 1/2" osb for the roof sheathing you need to use min. of 2" nails, shingle nails will be min. of 1 1/2" plated flat head nails.
    T1-11 should be attached with a min. of 2" galvanized nails preferably use twist shank nails.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

hot dipped galvanized 16d spiral nails (meant for deck and patio) is good enough?

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      16D will be fine for the framing, make sure you use acq/acc approved nails for the treated lumber.
      If your using 1/2" osb for the roof sheathing you need to use min. of 2" nails, shingle nails will be min. of 1 1/2" plated flat head nails.
      T1-11 should be attached with a min. of 2" galvanized nails preferably use twist shank nails.
      hot dipped galvanized 16d spiral nails (meant for deck and patio) is good enough? for framing treated lumber walls?

Comment

Until about 5 or 6 years ago, most pressure treated lumber was treated with a chemical called CCA.

My understanding is that the A in CCA stands for arsenic, and this was found to be leaching out of pressure treated lumber and contaminating the soil (and potentially contaminating ground water) with arsenic.

CCA pressure treated lumber is still available for some applications, but has been largely replaced with ACQ pressure treated lumber. In order to achieve the same resistance to wood rot as CCA, the copper content in ACQ had to be increased four fold to compensate for the elimination of the arsenic. My understanding is that this higher copper content results in fasteners corroding in ACQ treated lumber much more readily, and so for ACQ lumber it's recommended to use either stainless steel fasteners or TRIPLE galvanized fasteners and/or hardware.

I can't comment on the size of the nails you want to use, but I can say that ACQ pressure treated lumber is far more prone to corrode fasteners than the old CCA pressure treated lumber, and so you really should check into the requirements for ACQ treated lumber before you buy your fasteners. I do know that there was a major change in the fastener requirements when they switched from CCA to ACQ about 5 or 6 years ago.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific on the details. I don't use pressure treated lumber often enough to know these details off the top.

Comment

You are correct, they increased the copper and decreased the arsenic content of the chemicals used to treat the lumber.
          Almost all exterior fasteners will have their specific use (approved for use) listed on the package, most companies have now made changes to their fastener's coatings to be used on both CCA and ACQ, but check the box first.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor View Post
            Until about 5 or 6 years ago, most pressure treated lumber was treated with a chemical called CCA.

My understanding is that the A in CCA stands for arsenic, and this was found to be leaching out of pressure treated lumber and contaminating the soil (and potentially contaminating ground water) with arsenic.

CCA pressure treated lumber is still available for some applications, but has been largely replaced with ACQ pressure treated lumber. In order to achieve the same resistance to wood rot as CCA, the copper content in ACQ had to be increased four fold to compensate for the elimination of the arsenic. My understanding is that this higher copper content results in fasteners corroding in ACQ treated lumber much more readily, and so for ACQ lumber it's recommended to use either stainless steel fasteners or TRIPLE galvanized fasteners and/or hardware.

I can't comment on the size of the nails you want to use, but I can say that ACQ pressure treated lumber is far more prone to corrode fasteners than the old CCA pressure treated lumber, and so you really should check into the requirements for ACQ treated lumber before you buy your fasteners. I do know that there was a major change in the fastener requirements when they switched from CCA to ACQ about 5 or 6 years ago.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific on the details. I don't use pressure treated lumber often enough to know these details off the top.

Well treated lumber we are using is at least 5 years old....so I think its ccq type...not sure...so will use hot dipped galvanized nails..

Comment

Working...
            X
            =