Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosing Pioneer vsx-47tx

I have this receiver and has been working for me flawlessly. Until I switch to rep/pro + amp (separates). Then this receiver was sitting collecting dust in a shelve. I decide to set up another stereo rig and what better way to reuse the receiver.

But up on connecting up everything, I can't get any audio output. Not via the speakers terminal, not via pre-out, not via headphone.

Of course this is an old beast and there are new one that I can buy without having to spend time and effort in repair shop, but this cost me dearly when it first came out, in 2002. It was one of the 1st THX ultra-2 receiver. So the thought of junking it is just hard to accept right now. Especially without even trying to fix; I did try to get an estimate -- the repair person quote somewhere in the 1k range for parts and labor.

So I decided to take a shot at DIY diagnosing it. Perhap if I can figure out which module(PCB) that is damnage, I can order my own part and resurrect this myself. I'm not electronic savvy, but I am pretty technical and have work with many computer hardware before. I haven't fixed anything this sophisticated yet

So far, I 've diagnosed the followings:
    1. Switching on input between audio and video works fine. Receiver can decode and show various type of digital signal on the front panel, ie Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc.
    2. Video Output works fine.
    3. Audio output: NONE - Silence. on all three output modules (Speakers, Pre-Out, Headphone). No static, not cricketing of any sort.

I have managed to acquire a service manual. I have all the schematic layout. I think there is one board that responsible for outputting stage (Speaker, Pre-Out, Headphone). But not being as savvy of an electronic person, I can't seem to figure out which module that is. Of course, i don't have all the testing tool either.

Anyone has suggestion on what else to poke? May be I'm just naive to think there's one module that control the output? Some may suggest it the motherboard (controller), but why would controller break down for all three output stage?
Working...
X
=