Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slimey Framing

Had water damage from roof down below in crawl space. Resulted in rot. Repaired roof and removed and killed rot with antifreeze.

One of the vertical redwood framing planks is covered with a slime like orange substance that is eating away at the interior of the redwood framing plank. It is not termites or carpenter ants as there is none to be seen. There is a large black spider in the vicinity.

Could this be from the spider?

What is this stuff?

How do you kill it, repair it?

Thanks

could it possibly be a form of resin from the heart of the redwood? amber, a kind of pitch oozes from the sap of the trees.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

It could be, as it is amber in color, but across the past couple weeks it appears to be "eating" the plank. There is just less wood there, and more of this orange/amber stuff, sort of like how a bee hive looks.

No wasps, bees, or any other sound either.

This is the original framing wood. The house was built in 1976. Northern California.

Comment

here's a pic

Comment

The following I dug out of a piece on redwoods.
          Cankers

Redwood trees infected with sudden oak death develop bleeding cankers on their trunks. These swollen lesions are found on the branches and trunks of redwoods, and some may be located beneath the tree bark. Foul-smelling sap often oozes from cankers on infected redwoods, and the bark underneath the cankers is discolored. This discoloration is usually bright red or orange in color.

Wilting/Blight

General wilt is a symptom of sudden oak death, which looks similar to drought-related stress. As the disease progresses, individual branches wilt, and the entire tree collapses and dies.

Read more: Common Symptoms of a Dying Redwood Tree | eHow.com Common Symptoms of a Dying Redwood Tree | eHow.com

Comment

That looks like sap to me.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

The "sap" is eating the interior of the framing stud. It has created a pathway from the bottom and is working it's way toward the top. Over an inch in width and maybe 3 inches in depth

Will have to remove/replace the stud, but will have to reinforce/jack. That will most likely happen in the summer. So right now need to contain/seal.

A bit concerned of what it is and how to properly isolate the "infection" from the rest of the frame?

Went to the store and they suggested to TSP/Primer/Bondo/Primer.

Thanks for the info on wilt, but that seems to be for a live tree. This piece of wood is 36 years old. What could cause it melt into sap(potentially) and why would that just infect this one stud?

Comment

could be just one of the batch that was sent to you for the framing. try scraping off what you can and dispose of it. I was told that turpentine may thin it out for cleanup. KILZ is an alcohol based primer that may encapsulate it.
                use a lally column to brace whatever the stud is holding and remove it.

Comment

I cannot see in your picture anything that looks like it's an 1" wide gap, it looks to be a split in the floor joist where the sap is coming from. The split opened when exposed to moisture.
                  No need to remove the piece unless it is showing signs of failure, even then a simple sistering of a new joist would be more than sufficient.
                  I would be a little more concerned with the mold growing on the underside of the sub floor.
                  Last edited by pushkins; 02-17-2012, 07:48 AM.
                  Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                  Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Wood sap....

I was using some reclaimed studs on a basement project many decades ago. These studs came from a VERY old house. Although they were in great condition, I was surprised to see the sap lines open up when in a warmer environment than the one they apparently were used to previously. A few of them were 'dry' when installed, but after a couple weeks I found the ooz. Sticky, sticky stuff! A beautiful gold/amber color. These were yellow pine boards. The only time I would replace one would be if the weak thread of sap ran in a diagonal across the width of the stud. Then I'd consider. But even at that, as Pushkins says he'd do, I would sister it, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =