Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dials up on its own

Sometimes our computer if left idle for a while will dial up on its own. How can this be avoided, and what causes this to happen?
    As of now I simply pull the computers phone (modem) line each time we go off the net. Is there any adjustment,etc I can make to avoid this without pulling the plug jack.? Thanks

Does it dial up when your email program is open? Many email programs give you an option to "Dial up - when not connected".

If it is not related to email, I would check for "spy ware" - download Spybot Search & Destroy. http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...-10122137.html

There are "dialer programs" and other unwanted applications that try to send personal information. Many of these programs come with "Free" downloadable software like smiley buttons and more.

Home Improvement Watch

Comment

when you set up dial up networking there's three options on the loading screen - never dial a connection, dial when a network connection is present and I forgot the other one. you want the first option. Also check your server screen properties. sometimes what you put in there will over ride the dial up networking thingie.

Comment

ok, thanks for the replys.
        I'll check the settings out.

Comment

spyware?

I'm pretty sure you have spyware on your machine, I had a similar problem a few years ago. These programs will actually take over your computer and direct it to other sites. If the computer has been doing this since day one, it may be something was set up wrong, but if it recently started out of the blue, something obviously changed the settings and may be trying to connect with a server to download your personal information.
          The good news is both spybot & Adaware work great at cleaning stuff like this out of your system. Both are free, and very easy to use. I use Spybot on a regular basis, and it works like a charm.
          leone184

Comment

cheap and dependable - go to www.avast.com and download their virus scan program - it is 100% free does a more thorough cleaning than norton or mcafee. I would also recommend "zone alarm" for a firewall program and ccleaner to clean your registry.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =