Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless to wired?

My cable internet service is out for a couple of days until one of their techs can come and check the line for problems. I have a linksys usb dongle where I am able to get wireless internet service from my neighbors. This is my question, since I am able to get wireless internet service to my computer, is it possible to use this signal, temporarily, to also connect to my Vonage voip which is a wired device?

Vonage must have a direct connection to your cable modem as far as I know.

Comment

Did you get your neighbors permission? I would ask him before leeching his wifi.

Comment

If you have your neighbors permission, then what you really need is a wireless to wired bridge device. Such a device uses the wireless access as the "source" and bridges to the wired side.
        In my home, I have a location where I need to connect a wired blu-ray player but there is no wired connection available. To solve this, I use a Buffalo Technologies Wireless Ethernet Connverter (model number WLI-TX4-G54HP) which connects over WiFi back to my main wireless Access Point.
        The wireless part of the connection is "invisible" to the wired devices, so it should work OK for you.

Comment

Assuming you have a ethernet jack as addition to your USB dongle you can easily do it. See

support.microsoft.com/kb/306126 (put h t t p in front of that)

For details.

Comment

Not unless you can run an ethernet cable to their router. haha

Comment

Working...
            X
            =