Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a bad sound card

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP. The sound card was fried during a power surge. I've tried downloading the driver but I keep getting "this device cannot start (Code 10)" on the Control Panel under Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio. I'm looking to add a new sound card but all the cards I've seen have multiple outputs whereas my current speakers only connect to one output. Will I be able to connect to only one output on the new sound card and still hear all the sounds or are the sounds separated and fed to different channels?

have you tried connecting your speakers to the front output jack? I got a dimension 4600 with onboard integral sound off the motherboard.

Comment

Yes, I tried the front jack - still no sound. It's the integral sound card off the motherboard that was fried.

Comment

ok, well if its the thing on the motherboard, I'd say the sound channel on the MB is gone. adding a pci slot sound card won't fix the problem. knowing this I'd be looking for a new MB.

Comment

The mainboard works by routing data between devices. As far as I know, there is no specific "channel" on the board dedicated to sound (other than those in a sound card or integrated sound circuit). If the computer still starts up correctly and is simply not outputting sound, adding in a separate sound-card will probably fix your problem. A board incapable of routing data correctly would not POST.

A standard PCI sound card is cheap, usually provides better sound quality (isolation from the mainboard reduces cross-talk), higher volume, and even adds a tiny amount of performance by isolating sound processing from the CPU. Don't worry about the extra ports on a card. They are all configurable to use a single line-out and will work fine without one of those fancy expensive speaker systems.

This one has great ratings and is under $10!
          1. You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 5 posts or more.
          Whoops.. just search Newegg. cheapest sound card listed and it looks like a winner for you.
          If man makes it, man can fix it!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =