Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for ups

We've recently (after a power scare) decided to get an uninterruptible power supply. We have a surge protector, which we will probably use in series with the new supply. I believe they all come with a surge protector built in, but I figure that this is one of those "if some is good, more is better" times. I can't imagine that having 2 would hurt anything.
    The protector I have now is an Interex 1050TX. I can't find it on the net, so I'm not sure how much protection it provides.
    I'd like to add a ups so we don't risk corruption of windows from an improper shutdown. It wouldn't be the first time...... What do you all recommend we get. We wouldn't need to continue working for an extended time, just long enough to save everything and shut down through windows. I'd like to be reasonably sure that we wouldn't get anything fried from a nearby lightning strike, as well.
    Thanks, Don.

ups

go for APC they are good

Comment

Most UPS systems are good for about 8 hours. That should be enough time to safely boot down your system and not lose information as would a sudden shut down. get one that covers your desktop/laptop power supply wattage rating and add 500 watts.

Comment

Some vendors have cautions about using a surge in front of a UPS.

TrippLite and APC are good. I believe that both have functions on their web pages that will help you calculate the size/capacity of UPS you need based on the particulars of your computer.

If you have peripherals, such as a printer that are not critical, use the Surge Suppressor on them and do not route them through your UPS.

malcolm

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          Most UPS systems are good for about 8 hours.
          Methinks you mean 8 minutes?

The information I've seen in this thread is good. I want to add that you should schedule periodic test periods where you will test the performance of your UPS. Batteries die over the period of 2-3 years, and you don't want to find out one's dead during an actual power outage.

P.S. On another note. UPS' make great lamp power during an outage too. I have one tucked under a table in my living room. Only thing plugged into it is a 15watt flourescent lamp. Runs for days.

Comment

I'd suggest that the UPS that you get includes a connection and software to automatically shutdown your PC when the battery level gets low. My UPS powers a desktop computer and DSL modem/router. If the power goes out, the battery kicks in, but once the battery level gets to 20%, it sends a signal to the computer over a USB cable to shutdown the computer.

Comment

Paul this posting is almost two year's old. I don't think the original poster is even aware that a response has been given. Please limit your answers to postings added within the past three months, then you'll probably get a response.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =