Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep Chkdsk from appearing at start up

I have a Dell 8250 2.4ghz computer running Windows XP Home. My hard drive is partitioned into a C, D, and E drive. My question is, is there a way to keep chkdsk from appearing before Windows starts?

The other day my computer froze. The only way to free it up was to hit the power button. Ever since then before windows comes up the chkdsk program appears and says there is some problem on my D: drive and proceeds to run. The first few times I let it run. It never says there were errors detected. Since then I hit a key to stop it and let Windows come up. Windows comes up normally and I don't see any problems while using the computer.

the command CHKDSK will check your hard drive for errors. If you supply the extension/F after the command the check disk will verify its files and attempt to repair them. the CHKDSK /F command is given through the MSDOS part of the windows explorer. It shouldn't run more than twice on your system. in the MSDOS part of windows if you typed in /HELP it will bring up all the variables that you can use with the commands.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      the command CHKDSK will check your hard drive for errors. If you supply the extension/F after the command the check disk will verify its files and attempt to repair them. the CHKDSK /F command is given through the MSDOS part of the windows explorer. It shouldn't run more than twice on your system. in the MSDOS part of windows if you typed in /HELP it will bring up all the variables that you can use with the commands.

Thanks for jumpin on this so quick. So if I do this will CHKDSK stop appearing? How do I get to DOS? Is it one of the options at the F8 screen display?

Comment

not too many people are MSDOS concious - the last edition of msdos was version 6.02 way back just before windows came out with win 95. windows was them edition 3.1. anyway if you go to START, ACCESORIES look in the panel for the MSDOS C:\ command prompt. click on it and a black screen will pop up. you'll have something that looks like C:\Documents and settings. type in cd.. and hit enter. what this does is changes directory [ or shortens what you have on screen. ] do it again cd.. and hit enter. you should be now at a straight C:\ prompt. type in CHKDSK /F and hit enter. The program will tell you that CHKDSK /F will run next time you restart windows. Is this what you want? Type Y for yes or N for no. Hit the "Y" key and enter. Now the next time you restart windows, the machine will go through three checks, file checks, verify and fix errors - and restart. it should only happen maybe once or twice and not run it anymore.

Comment

Thanks. It worked great. I managed to change it to the D: drive. A line appeared asking if I wanted to "dismount the volume". I did then it said "opened handles are invalid". No clue what that means but everything is working fine after 3 reboots.

Ya, it's been 15+ years since I did anything with DOS. That was when I was using my first computer, a Commodore Colt. Still have it stashed in the garage. Technology sure has changed.

Comment

my first machine was a rad shack tandy - you'd load up the os via a 5 1/4" floppy on "A" drive and run your programs off "B" drive floppy. there was no c: drive.

Comment

I got the same problem before, but I simply see xp booting normally by restarting 3 times. No need to run any chkdsk command using DOS prompt.

Comment

please change your login to something not so obvious. something like what you have can get you banned.

Comment

check your hdd

my solution is to change your hard drive to new one. if you want to check your hdd first, run mhdd - this software will show if your hdd is working fine or not. do it quick if you don't wont to loose all dt!

Comment

laptop - running chkdsk doesn't ruin your hard drive! why even suggest a new hard drive?

Comment

why?

chkdsk is a very good software, but if is comeing on every time before windows starts, means for me that windows recognised some errors on hdd and is trying to fix it,
                      my advice is to download hirens boot cd from internet and test hdd.
                      there are hard drive tools (victoria, mhdd, hdd regenerator)
                      check your hdd before you bin it!
                      chkdsk cannot repair bad block on your harddrive

Comment

Working fine months later just by running chkdsk/f months ago. Same hard drive.

Comment

Thanks for following up and letting us know. Glad it's still working!
                          Try

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =