Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System configuration...

Am perplexed about cousin's computer. It runs VERY slow. It's an EMachines unit. Looked at the system config utility and under the Start up tab there's a blank line with the box checked. What would be in that blank line? How can I determine what should be checked and which should not be checked?

The way I do it is usually just do a search one by one for each item starting at start-up and seeing if they are needed at start-up that way. Most likely he has way to many things starting. I have I believe 5 items that start when the syatem starts. Or you could uncheck the box with nothing next to it and try starting it. If it was important and won't start, start in safe mode and re-check the box.
    Or he may have a virus, have you tried running a virus or spyware program?
    Jtfoxman

Comment

if you want a selective startup - go to start, run, type in "msconfig" without the quotes and hit enter. here you'll find a box that you can uncheck things to start when windows xp starts.

Comment

msconfig

Yes, HayZee, it is in the msconfig utility under the start up tab where I found some suspicious items. The most intriguing was that blank line. Jtfoxman, I did consider doing as you suggested. Should I make those changes in safe mode? Or should I do that in regular start up and then do a restart in safe to verify?

Comment

Do it during normal start-up and restart in normal start-up mode. If you made those changes in safe mode and you need that box checked it will not start in safe mode, This way if it will not start, you can start in safe mode and recheck the box to take everything back to the way it was.
          Jtfoxman

Comment

Sysconfig

Thanks, jtfoxman. I unchecked the box and a message came up that only the system admin can make changes. There,s only one user and that is listed as 'owner'. How do I manage this as system administrator?

Comment

You would have to create the ADMIN account by going to your control panel and then clicking on user accounts. From there just follow the instructions to create a admin account. Once you do that you will be able to log on as either admin or owner when you restart.
              Or you can go download a program that lets you pick and choose what you want to start-up or delay certain programs from starting for a few minutes after it has fully started, and this way you do not need a admin account it works with any user.
              Like if you have a chat program that starts when you start the pc you can delay it to start 5 minutes after it has fully started to speed up start-up. I use a program called StartUp Delayer. Once you download and open it it gives you a list of all your programs and has checks by the ones that start on start-up. You can then uncheck them or delay them.
              Very simple to use, it works well and no malware or spyware associated with it. Try a search for it on cnet.com or majorgeeks.com. 2 of my favorite and safest download sites.
              Jtfoxman

Comment

stat up issues...

Thanks, jtfoxman. Will look into it again.

Comment

By the way most of the start up delayer programs are free, unless you get the super advanced programs. But there for way more experienced users then us.
                  Jtfoxman

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =