Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS loss

Hi there!

I need to ask why my FPS fluctuates while playing online games. Can ping loss or internet connection cause FPS to fluctuate or is it something related to performance of my GPU? I think my GPU can easily support the games I play and should provide very good FPS. Thank you.​

Hi there! So, about your FPS fluctuations in online games - it's a bit of a tricky issue because there are a few things that could be going on. Normally, FPS is mainly about your computer's hardware, especially your GPU. If your GPU is good enough for the games you're playing, you should be getting solid FPS most of the time. But here's the thing - in online games, sometimes network issues can make the game feel choppy, which can seem like FPS drops even when it's not. High ping or packet loss won't directly lower your FPS, but they can definitely make the game feel less smooth. It's also worth noting that your CPU plays a role in online games too, handling all that network stuff, which could impact your FPS if it's struggling.

To figure out what's really going on, you might want to use an FPS counter in your game to see if the number is actually dropping or if it just feels that way. Also, keep an eye on your ping and check if your GPU and CPU usage is maxing out while you play. If your FPS is genuinely dropping but your GPU isn't working at full capacity, there might be something else going on - maybe your CPU is bottlenecking, or your system is overheating, or there's some background process eating up resources. It's a bit of detective work, but once you pinpoint the issue, you'll be on your way to smoother gaming!

Comment

Thank you, machinist. Actually, I can see my FPS and have noticed some fluctuations while playing. What specific metrics should I be monitoring alongside the FPS to diagnose potential issues, like CPU/GPU usage or temperatures?

Comment

It's great that you're already monitoring your FPS. To get a clearer picture of what's causing the fluctuations, here are some key metrics you should keep an eye on:
        1. CPU and GPU usage: Both should be monitored while gaming. If either one is consistently at or near 100%, it could be bottlenecking your performance.
        2. CPU and GPU temperatures: High temperatures can cause thermal throttling, which reduces performance to prevent damage. Most CPUs and GPUs start throttling around 90°C (194°F).
        3. RAM usage: If you're running low on available memory, it can cause stuttering and FPS drops.
        4. Disk usage: High disk activity can cause stuttering, especially if you're using a traditional hard drive instead of an SSD.
        5. Network latency (ping) and packet loss: While these don't directly affect FPS, they can cause perceived stuttering in online games.

You can use tools like MSI Afterburner or HWiNFO to monitor these metrics in real-time. They can display this info as an overlay while you're gaming, making it easier to spot correlations between FPS drops and other metrics.

By watching these numbers alongside your FPS, you should be able to identify patterns. For example, if FPS drops coincide with CPU usage spikes, you might have a CPU bottleneck. Or if they happen when temperatures peak, you could have a cooling issue.

Let me know if you need help interpreting any of these metrics.

Comment

Thank you so much machinist. Sure, I will let you know if I need any further assistance.

Comment

Working...
          X