Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Buying

Not exactly off topic but I figured I could find some help here from the pros that make things happen. I am looking into purchasing an older home and I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to what to look for prior to offering. I have my list of the usual (asbestos wrapped piping, asbestos plank siding, lead paint around the windows) but what are some other areas that can be identified? I would be getting a home inspection from a professional but that only happens after I take the time to put in an offer so if I could save time and money by finding things on my own that would be great. Please advise and thanks in advance.

if the home has asbestos and you know it, full encapsulation will be in order and IT'S VERY EXPENSIVE! I used to do minor asbestos abatement in connecticut. asbestos siding isn't a problem unless it becomes "FRIABLE." You are made aware that lead paint is around the house. Unless you have little children around, encapsulation will be necessary. Mass requires a termite inspection. check load carrying beams, porches, lumber in direct contact with your foundation. Look for mud tubes from the earth to wood. Look for knob n tube wiring in the attic. Cellulose or blown in insulation isn't supposed to be installed OVER k & t wiring [fire hazard] Minimum for a new service is 100 amp.

Comment

You still need a professional to inspect it to be sure.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =