Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Motor Help

I'm hoping someone can make a suggestion to help me with a 2HP induction motor that powers a craftsman jointer I have in my shop. The motor has very few hours (< 10) of runtime though it is almost 10 years old. It has always started and run fine; up until yesterday. It started fine, and ran for about 30 minutes, but when I try to start it now, I hear a click that sounds like a switch or solenoid, and then an electric "hum" but the motor doesn't spin up? Are there any servicable parts to these? I am thinking it could be just sawduct or accumulated corrosion of some sort? Are there usually switches or points that can be cleaned? Thanks,

the motor can be of the attraction-repulsion type or a capacitor start. attraction-repulsion types use brushes on the armature. it is a wound armature. a standard induction type has a start and run winding. in one end bell is a centrifugal switch connnected to a capacitor used for starting. sawdust may be interfering with the start switch, and flyball to make it operate. blow out the motor.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give a good blast tonight and see if that clears things up. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =