Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Doctor

Hi i am thinking of buying myself a Drill Doctor DD750X I have a ton of old drill bits that i think could be brought back to life.
    Please give me your opinion on this tool. Paul

if you can keep the rake angle and a 60 degree web point go for it! I was taught by a tool n die maker that its just as easy with a 600 grit 6 inch wheel and a good eye.

Comment

Drill Doctor

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      if you can keep the rake angle and a 60 degree web point go for it! I was taught by a tool n die maker that its just as easy with a 600 grit 6 inch wheel and a good eye.
      if this is true then i think i have a very bad eye. Never had any luck with trying to sharpen them. Its like my chain saw, i tried to sharpen it and then it wanted to cut circles. Paul

Comment

I bought a chain saw sharpener from Harbor Freight for doing commercial blades here in NY for lumberjacks and home owners and had very good luck with it. It provided me with adjustments for the cutting edge angle and a depth adjustments. Guys that had me sharpen their blades all said it cut true and straight. I'm planning on getting a sharpener for circular carbide blades for contractors from Harbor Freight next time around.

Comment

I have a drill doctor and like it a lot. It works on standard bits. The ones with the little bit sticking out looking like a starter; it doesn't work on those at all.

I also have the Harbor Freight chain saw sharpener. Even though it's kind of chinsey, it will do the job, just don't force it cause the plastic gives real easy. Then right after I had done a couple chains and started feeling pretty good about myself, my Brother-in-Law shows me how to do it on the saw with a file. Takes about half as long.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
            I have a drill doctor and like it a lot. It works on standard bits. The ones with the little bit sticking out looking like a starter; it doesn't work on those at all.

I also have the Harbor Freight chain saw sharpener. Even though it's kind of chinsey, it will do the job, just don't force it cause the plastic gives real easy. Then right after I had done a couple chains and started feeling pretty good about myself, my Brother-in-Law shows me how to do it on the saw with a file. Takes about half as long.
            The ones with the little bit sticking out looking like a starter. if you are talking about the drill press fostner bit, i have a set of those that goes from 1/4 to 2"
            and they can not be sharpened. Those bits i make sure they only go in clean wood. What i want the drill doctor for is the steel drills. i do a lot of steel fab. work. and i have a couple hundred bits laying around, that maybe could be used again. I don't remember for sure but a 5/8 col vault i think is 25 to 30 dollars.
            i never have time to shop for them so when i need one fast, i run to hardware.
            Thanks for the reply's. Paul

Comment

the one "he's" talking about is a starter with a counterbore. if you drill a 3/8" hole and use a counterbore with a starter, the starter is 3/8" - the new hole will be true on the 3/8" hole.
              Hand sharpening with a wheel. Use a very fine abrasive wheel. Hold the drill at a slight down angle with the web parallel to the wheel. touch the wheel and rotate the drill clockwise to the end of the rake and finish with the end in a downward motion. repeat on the other side. the web or where the two cutting edges meet should show two distinct cutting edges, not a point. smaller drills are harder to sharpen. there is a lot of pressure when you start to drill a piece of steel at the web area. you need to break the bond between the work and the drill bit. a drop of kerosene will do this and cool the bit.

Comment

The one I have is older than the one in this picture, but works pretty well. I have sharpened about 100 bits with it so far.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =