Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricity Surge

I just bought a new TV for the house that I've just moved into.

I left the TV on in the family room and when I came back to the family room an hour later, I noticed that the TV had shut itself off. When I tried to turn it on, it didn't respond to either the remote control or the controls on the front panel of the TV itself. The power on light on the front of the TV flashes a few times every few seconds.

This morning I unplugged the TV and then plugged it back in. The power on light stopped flashing. I tried to turn the TV on and it just kept making this clicking sound like it was trying to turn on but couldn't, and then the power on light resumed flashing every few seconds.

I figure that I must have gotten a defective unit. But, I'm also wondering if there had been a power surge that could have burnt out some part of the TV. According to a friend of mine this could happen. I know that people recommend using surge protectors but not everyone does this and I don't hear about TV's getting damaged all the time.

Do TV's come with some sort of protection or are they just completely vulnerable to power surges? Did what happened to me sound like a TV problem or a power surge problem? Is this a common occurrence?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm rather new at setting up a household and am learning everything from scratch.

I'd suggest you have a defective set and I would definatly take it back and exchange it for a new one, tell them you don't want them to fix it, just exchange it. A power surge can happen very easily and a TV comes with no protection except perhaps an internal fuse or thyristor. The electrical current can even jump these devices and destroy internal circuitry so it is advised to plug your set and any other electronic devices into a quality surge suppressor, not a cheapie.

quote:Originally posted by ypw

I just bought a new TV for the house that I've just moved into.

I left the TV on in the family room and when I came back to the family room an hour later, I noticed that the TV had shut itself off. When I tried to turn it on, it didn't respond to either the remote control or the controls on the front panel of the TV itself. The power on light on the front of the TV flashes a few times every few seconds.

This morning I unplugged the TV and then plugged it back in. The power on light stopped flashing. I tried to turn the TV on and it just kept making this clicking sound like it was trying to turn on but couldn't, and then the power on light resumed flashing every few seconds.

I figure that I must have gotten a defective unit. But, I'm also wondering if there had been a power surge that could have burnt out some part of the TV. According to a friend of mine this could happen. I know that people recommend using surge protectors but not everyone does this and I don't hear about TV's getting damaged all the time.

Do TV's come with some sort of protection or are they just completely vulnerable to power surges? Did what happened to me sound like a TV problem or a power surge problem? Is this a common occurrence?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm rather new at setting up a household and am learning everything from scratch.

Comment

That clicking sound is likely the power supply relay (not latching in). If the set is returnable, great. If not, there's a repair job necesssary.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =