Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rider mower repair

I have a four-year old John Deere X300 rider mower. I leave it on a trickle charge when not in use, and it always starts right up. However, if I stop after five or ten minutes use, and try to restart, it clicks or struggles to turn over. Sometimes it won't start at all. I installed a new battery thinking the old one might not be holding the charge any more, but I'm having the same problem. I've put in new spark plugs and checked the fuses. Suggestions?

Steve

spark plugs wouldn't be the problem. the mower's ignition system is a magneto. it is basically an ac generator that feeds through a rectifier to get 13 volts d.c. and so feeds the battery to charge it. the spark for the plugs comes off an ignition coil that is also driven by the magnets in the flywheel. check for a broken wire going to the rectifier or a bad ground. if you suspect the rectifier there is an item called a bridge rectifier. this unit is shaped like a square with ac input on opposite corners and the dc taken off the other two corners, but you have to watch the polarity. one corner will be negative, the other will be positive. negative goes to the mower frame.

Comment

thanks for your detailed help, I'll chase down the rectifier and wires leading to it, and see what I come up with.

Steve

Comment

This is an interesting section

Comment

Working...
        X
        =