Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic water tank-motor supply system

I am thinking about getting an Poly underground water tank to supply water to the house. What all would I need? What kind of automatic water pressure pump would be required? Any problems doing it this way? I figure it would be cheaper than running new water pipe either 200 yards and/or repairing the line under a road. Water is a lot cheaper if hauled. Thanks.

Water tank

Check around at several pump supply places and get their opinion. Also check into msc or mcmaster-carr industrial supply. mcmaster I know has plastic and reinforced nylon tanks. I would have to check into the static and pressurized specifications before committing to any of them. one assurance, they will not rust! next would be do they degrade over time and what is this time period. check internal and external bracing.

Comment

I'm trying to understand why you want to install this tank. Don't you have water at your home now? If not, why? Most people either have city water or a well. The only time you would need a tank is if your well was a real slow producer or the city water pressure was too low.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
        I'm trying to understand why you want to install this tank. Don't you have water at your home now? If not, why? Most people either have city water or a well. The only time you would need a tank is if your well was a real slow producer or the city water pressure was too low.
        Yes we have city water, outside the city limits.
        The city changed all the meters last summer. They lost 40000 gallons from ours since it wasn't put together right. We didn't have to pay that. We are paying $50-75 /mo instead of $35 since they changed meters. The stool did have a leak.
        The water meter is about 250 yards away and across a road. We have a leak or a bad meter. The county man said the city had a bunch of bad meters, but they won't change ours out and denied the bad meters. The city says if you complain we will shut you off. ( I will try running about 3-5 gallons of water and see what the meter reads.) It costs $30 a year to turn the water on and off when we are gone, even though most times I borrowed the tool and did it myself. It is costing us $50-75 a month just for water. That's more than the city users pay even with sewer and I believe garbage pickup. Our town only has 950 people, a new 3 million dollar water tower, all new water pipes, and a worthless city water manager getting $40,000 a year. When he was on vacation, his assistant went out to turn on our water but didn't know there were two valves to turn instead of one now. They got a union in, so now they just outsource most everything, to their buddies.
        Two people on the water dept said they would adjust $150 for the leak but never did.

The farmers can load up a sprayer tank for about a dollar.

It is just an idea to save money. Our neighbors (long gone now) used a plastic cistern and city water but eventually got a city line so maybe it isn't worth it. I have a tandem boat trailer I could haul water on.

I'm going to dig a hole on our side of the road and see if water leaks between there and the meter. I guess they covered the pipe with rock some 30+ years ago, and with all the semi truck traffic it could have caused a leak.

It would be nice not to have to depend on those guys and they probably don't want us either since they are only interested in making money. All the water to the city goes under our property by the way.

We will probably get the line fixed anyhow, unless someone comes up with a better idea.
        Last edited by ba_50; 04-18-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I would recommend a submersible pump in the cistern. A tank in the house with the pressure switch and gauge mounted on a tank tee. Pretty basic stuff.

Comment

We turned the city water back on but weren't home. Now it showed a leak of 5 gallons in 8 hours. The pressure blew a bunch of pipes in town, so I am thinking the pressure made the line hole bigger by turning it on.

Anyhow someone was going to come back with an estimate on a fix and never did. The other local guy wasn't interested either. And I thought work was hard to find.

We may end up with a tank anyhow. But then my pumps might break for extra costs.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =