Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wodd shakes exposure

I couldn't find a more apt forum for this, so I thought I'd post it here. I'm doing a renovation of my home and there's a situation that doesn't seem right, but I can't find any facts to back me up.
    I have three large gables. Previously, at least two layers of standard roofing shingles were hung on this vertical surface. I had the shingles removed and replaced with cedar shakes.

The 18" shakes were hung with a 14" exposure, single layer. This means that the 10" seam between each shingle is open directly to the tar paper underneath, with no other moisture barrier between that and the unprotected framing.

I find the 2.5 cases of leftover shakes as another clue that they scrimped on the job. Where can I find doccumentation on proper procedures for this kind of application? If there is a standard exposure, I want it adhered to.

Thanks, Rip

I hate it when I misspell the topic and can't edit. Of course it should read, "WOOD Shakes Exposure".

Comment

Thanks anyway, I found the answer on the boxes the shakes came in. It has explicit instructions which weren't followed. I'll have to fight for this one.

Thanks,
      Rip

Comment

You can edit your post by clicking on the picture for your post.

Glad to know you solved your problem. Welcome to the forum!
        Try

Comment

Working...
        X
        =