Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do about the stairs?

I have an issue with my stairs. Over the last year or so they have become more and more of a concern. They make more and more noise when I walk up and down them. Over the last year I have noticed that the molding above the stairs have separated and there is "crack" that continues to widen. This separation goes up both sides of the stairs to the landing and up the continuing 2 stairs to the 2nd floor of the home (See attached Picture). I also noticed a floor to ceiling crack in the sheet rock in the garage (which is the other side of the wall where the stairs are). The home has a basement so I looked at the foundation and I don't see any cracks. I have made a number of attempts to understand the problem. I removed a portion of the wall in the garage and did not see any visible signs of rot or anything. I also removed the sheet rock from under the stairs and again did not see any visible issues with the structure. I'm not in construction but I know rot when I see it and I didn't see any. I know something is wrong but I'm not sure what. Is this a serious problem? If so whom do I contact for help? How do I know if this person/company is a good one? Thanks for the advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130218_075656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	87720

squeeky stairs.

since you already have the sheetrock removed under the stairs, get under there and try to physically move the treads. do it by hand. if you find any movement, I would assume the treads were applied using nails. if would be better to use screws from the stair tread to the stringer. the stringer is that part of the stair system that goes from the 2nd floor to the basement floor. three of them depending on the width of the stairway. if its not feasible to screw down the steps, try shimming them with shims. try poofing some talcum powder into the joints between the treads and stringer. this will lubricate the treads.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =