Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning brass fireplace frontage

I have a stove-like fireplace insert that is solid brass (or brass covered iron) but covered in black gunk. I'm guessing it hasn't been cleaned in about 80 years or so. I tried brasso with no luck--also some citristrip in case it was actually paint as gunk. No luck there either. Any suggestions? It's a very detailed piece with tons of groove.

There are alot of home made concoctions that sometimes work better than the commercial ones. Since copper and brass are similar in that they tarnish then the acid based cleaning solutions will work for both. I know the salt and vinegar solution works, I'm including some links that'll give you details on some formulas to try. I'd start with the one for cleaning copper. Hope this helps.

Comment

I can't wait to try these fabulous potions! I'll certainly give a rating of them all once I know--

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

There are alot of home made concoctions that sometimes work better than the commercial ones. Since copper and brass are similar in that they tarnish then the acid based cleaning solutions will work for both. I know the salt and vinegar solution works, I'm including some links that'll give you details on some formulas to try. I'd start with the one for cleaning copper. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =