Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable generator grounding

I bought a portable generator a few months back. The manual says it should be grounded while running. Others with years of experience with these contraptions say don't worry about it. What's your vote?

Since your regular electrical service is "earth" grounded either through a water pipe, well casing or driven ground rod and the generator 's earth ground [green wire] on the outlet is fastened to the chassis metal, it wouldn't hurt to drive a short ground rod and electrically bond a ground wire no smaller than #8 to the driven ground and generator chassis.
    if there are any voltage spikes, not having a regulator circuit, the spikes will be effectively conducted to earth ground.

Comment

Yup. Better safe than sorry. Did similar at a recent school event where it was isolated out in a field. At the last minute I grabbed a two foot length of rebar, a big hammer and a set of jumper cables. Drove the rebar in the ground 3/4s then connected the cables to the units ground stud and the rebar. Not ideal but better than nothing. Can I assume the manual tells you to ground it to prevent further damage or injury in the event of a short to ground or possibly to discharge any static buildup or as you say spikes.
      Last edited by Needaclue; 05-29-2015, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =