Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concrete driveway help

How long should I let my new concrete driveway dry out? I live in the Pacific NW, and it has been in the 70's to 90's since it has been laid. I have heard that a month is about standard. I have no coloring, stains or sealers on it, yet. Can I drive my car on it into the garage, which was not re-done? It will be 3 weeks on Friday since it was poured. Also, another ? is what is the best way to seal it after it is "cured" and finished drying out? Is it possible to put a stain on the new concrete before sealing? Also, if I apply stain and sealant, do I have to reapply on a yearly basis or ? Thanks for your help! [8D]

When I had concrete work done on a house addition I was told to keep it moist for at least three weeks to cure the portland at a slow rate. The cement creates its own heat as it cures and keeping it moist slows down the cure rate which builds its strength. I would say you could drive on it after a month of slow curing. How thich is it? If the concrete "slump" is about 2 1/2 inches - it is 3000 pound test. The "slump" determines the weight the concrete can support. It is measured by a slump cone. The cone is filled with wet concrete at the pour and the distance it drops or slumps when the cone is removed determines the slump rate - on a chart it will tell your the loading of the concrete in pounds.

Comment

I recently read an article in "handy" magazine about acid dying concrete.After it is applied it never fades or looses its color because it chemicaly changes the color of the concrete.afterwords it can be sealed.If the concrete has sealer already on it the sealer must be stripped off first. I have never seen or used it but it sounded interesting.

Comment

http://www.decorative-concrete.net/stained.php .Here is a website I found on acid staining.

Comment

Thanks for the help and link. I basically just want to make the concrete a darker gray, not too dark, but not the bright whitish it seems to be drying too. How long should I wait to attempt to stain, and then how much longer after that to put a sealant on?

Comment

Working...
          X
          =