Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way offkey - automotive

I have an olds minivan 1999. about six months after I bought it used my fuel gauge started acting screwy. Any reading when the tank was half full - the needle pointer would go all the way upscale then all the way downscale, then it would settle somewhere in the middle. Go over a bump and it owuld start all over. What I could get access to the connectors are clean and tight. The tank is plastic so I can't ground it. If I fill it up it reads full like its supposed to and goes down as the level decreases, but below half it goes screwy again.

Sounds like the sender's shot. I'll check with my son (master mechanic) tomorrow....

Comment

Okay, HayZee....Dave says it sounds very much like the sender is going bad. It's nothing more than a potentiometer. Since it's a '99, it may well be time for a fuel pump as well. Also, if the filter hasn't been changed often enough, it causes a lot of pressure for the pump and prematurely wears them out. What to do: use fuel until almost empty. Will probably have to drop the tank, as most likely there's no easy topside access hole. Sometimes a hole can be cut in the floor to access the sender unit. Suit yourself...but, the sender unit sometimes is, sometimes is not, a part of the pump. Both are in the tank for that year I believe. You could drop the tank, pull the sender out and then, with a DIAL type ohmmeter slowly move the float across it's range. IF you see a bunch of radical skipping rather than a smooth change, it needs replacing. They may/may not be pricey. Don't know that. Now...for MY opinion: install new sender, pump and filter. After all that effort of dropping that tank, I would put only new back in. It's five yrs old (X approx. 15k miles a year...)= peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =