Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awful stairs.

I am wondering of anyone knows of anyway to "resurface" stair treads. We removed the w2w from the steps, and underneath found awful pine, in too poor shape to be refinished, and we don't like carpeting on steps, nor do we want to paint them. I was wondering if there is anyway to cover.

It sounds like you just have the rough steps which builders put in knowing that they will be carpeted. It's not that pine can't be a good finish material; but these are probably low grade 1-by construction grade covered with paint, drywall mud droppings, etc. You cannot clean this up.

You can install new treads of any wood: oak, maple, even #1 pine. This is a tedious job of fitting but can be done. Use an adjustable template. You will need a molding under the front edge to trim the edge of the rough step.

Comment

Thanks for the response SSN. Actually, these are not the rough steps, as they have finishing details on them, but they ARE in terrible shape.

I have been reviewing stair parts online, and it seems like there is some sort of fals tread you can purchase, but I can't find the WHOLE tread, just sections of it...

Comment

We encountered the same thing a couple of years ago. We ended up springing for the carpet , but it turned out nice. We were considering a heart of pine look, and just finishing pine planks and using that to cover. Cheap and easy! Of course these were just stairs going to our basement, so there was a lot of room for error, and you may need something a little better looking...

Try
        Try

Comment

Working...
        X
        =