X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• molding

Tell me about crown molding,please.

Becky,
    Crown molding is decorative trim that is applied either around the top of cabinets or around the walls at the top. They can be as ornate or plain as required. The size and style of the trim should be based on the room and house style. Typically the higher the ceilings the larger the trim could be.

If you are looking to add it to existing cabinets you would normally try to match the wood species and finish either exactly or totally different for contrast.

If you are looking to add it to the walls in a room, you should consider any obstructions like a high window and check the condition of the walls and corners. The straighter the wall is and the more acurate the corners are the easier the job will be. The crown can be made from almost anything... plaster, MDF, finger-jointed wood, solid hardwood. Depending on the size and finish you need. I prefer using a coped miter for inside corners as opposed to 45 degree angles for a tight corner.

Also, especially if you are using long lenghts of solid wood trim, it is a good idea to bring the wood into the room or a room of similar temperature and humidity for awhile prior to installation so that it aclimates and does not swell or shink considerably after installation.

If you are looking to do the work yourself... I found a good article at : http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00004.asp

and here is an article by one manufacter of saws that gives a chart of angles and somemore good instructions:

I hope this helps,

Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
    X
    =