Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire restoration.

Several months ago my girlfriends mom purchased a house that is about 40 some odd years old and looks like it had some renovation done to it.. She heard through word of mouth that there possibly was a fire in the past, but there is nothing that really indicates there was one, nothing visable though... I was in the attic to do some electrical and didnt see any evidence of fire, at least not in that area, BUT today i was in the workshop and did notice something peculiar.... Some of the existing wiring has been altered but most of the old stuff has been torn out...ALL the HVAC duct is newer, definately not original,( why else would you replace all the duct except after a fire right?) but what is really pointing to signs of "fire" is there is this weird white paint blown on all the joists in the basement.. and I mean its everywhere, and not applied neatly either.. from the looks of it, there was NO ducting present when this "paint" was applied, even though there had to be ducting present in the room at one time as the flue for the original furnace is present in that location..

My question is, is this "paint" I see some form of sealer thats applied to wood after a fire has darkened or damaged structural members??? and if so WHAT IS IT?

I am just being curious though , as no one made mention of any problems with the house when it was purchased, and I am just curious muyself because I have been finding all sorts of bizarre things inside some of the switchboxes..
    Any info on the "sealer" ( if thats what it is) would be apopreciated!

A.D
Working...
X
=