Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower door or curtain?

We are currently making our plans to remodel the bathroom (the ONLY bathroom...). We are having to do this because of water damage that occured when the previous owners didnt caulk the shower door track just a very small bit in corner. So water slowly drips in there for years. Then we buy it, the problem comes out. We take down doors and put up a curtain. Sprayed everything rotted down with leach, and do our best to keep as much water off of it as possible. My husband wants shower doors back, but I say "that got this into this mess in first place". And he says that he doesnt like the darkness you get from the curtain, and decreased elbow room. Well I looked at doors at Home Depot. And I can see that the doors we had were VERY, VERY cheap. It was a plastic triple door, with an aluminum track that lipped up on both sides, with a small hole for the water to run out of. No wonder why water went everywhere with those things!!! The new doors I looked at were nothing like that. And they looked so easy to clean! And inexpensive! Are there any other opinions about wether it be a door or curtain?

there's typically nothing wrong with installing a shower door as long as it's installed properly, appropriately sealed with caulk and isn't spilling water into areas that should remain dry. Doors are also easier to clean than curtains.

Comment

Aaaah the great door/curtain debate Well, you'll get as many opinions on this as there are stars in the sky. So here's mine to throw in the mix. I've found that shower doors are a real pain to keep clean, gunk,hair, soap scum etc collects in the door tracks. Water sits in there too and eventually you end up with a mildewy mess to deal with.

While a shower curtain can also be a pain at times it can easily be pressed to stick to the inside of the shower wall to prevent spray from coming out and onto the floor. Then once done showering you move the curtain towards the middle from both ends to allow it to dry out and allow your exhaust fan to discharge the moisture from the shower enclosure area. Then move the curtain back straight across to prevent mildew from growing on it. After a year or so you can always throw the curtain away and get a new one if it's frayed.

If your hubby wants more light then install a domed light over the shower since you're gonna be remodeling anyways. So, there you have it, easy as pie eh.

Comment

If I was going to do a complete remodel, then a shower door is the best way to go to complement the bathroom. There are good quality doors out there that when installed properly, will give you many years of water free problems. But to go along with that, there is more maintainance to do on a door than on a curtain. You have to maintain the caulked areas and seals, and cleaning takes more effort. I like the look of the door and I think that you will too in a newly remodeled bath.

GOOD LUCK

Comment

Reply to Thread

I know just how you feel. I have the exact problem. My husband thinks he is a great handyman and replaced our shower curtain with a shower door. It has leaked ever since it was installed. I have been complaining for years. Now that he can see mold growing on the molding in the bathroom outside of the shower, he has decided it is time to do something about it. There are curtains out there that are clear (see through) with just a few designs on them (fish, sea shells, etc.). This type of curtain would allow plenty of light, however, it sounds like privacy may be an issue in the bathroom since it is the only one. I prefer curtains over shower doors. I buy heavy duty, mold resistant curtains. They are strong enough that I put them in the gentle cycle of my washing machine with bleach on the occaision they do start to get signs of mold. They are more likely to get soap buildup. I find that is is much harder to clean the shower door in our master bath, (we have 2 baths, one with curtain, one with door). The glass itself is not the problem, but as stated in one of the earlier replies, water gets in between the doors and sits there, that is hard to clean. There is caulking around the door and it is molding, even though it is waterproof. I'll take a SHOWER CURTAIN anytime!

Comment

Since I hate both, I designed our master bath to have a shower without either a curtain or a door, and I love it!

Comment

I'll take the curtain!

I cast my vote for a curtain. Yes, doors do look more attractive and make the bathroom look more inviting, but the maintenance is a deal breaker. You can buy transparent shower curtains if light is an issue. As far as "elbow room" goes, I smacked into the doors alot more than I do the curtain. It all boils down to personal preference. I'd much rather buy a $15 or $20 shower curtain once a year then have to maintain and clean glass doors. Just my opinion though. Just wondering, who usually cleans the doors? Hubby or you?

Comment

If elbow room or feeling closed in is an issue go to your local big box store and pick up a new shower rod that is curved out instead of straight. They are a fairly new product so you may have to ask around. It gives you a fair bit of additional space. Good luck, Jim
                'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
                X
                =