Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Beam Support Post

I am in the process of buying a new (1980) home and there are a few minor issues as there is with any older home. Here's the deal. There is a main steel I-beam that runs under the middle of the house with a steel support post. The kind with the screw jack with the little plate on top. When the inspector was going through the home he noticed that the post wasn't even attached to the main beam and the little plate that goes between the screw and the beam was missing.

There are no cracks in any wall, no sagging floor, really no sign that the post is missing and causing any problems. But I figure that it is a good idea to reattach it to the beam. My question is, how tight should tight does the screw have to be without moving the floor etc. I've never had any experience with this one...
    Any thoughts?

Since you say there is no apparent sagging, or any signs of sagging, then imo all that needs to be done is:
    install another identical steel plate under the beam and "screw "the jack up tightly to this plate. Tighten the jack sufficiently in that no post movement is noted when you apply your body weight force to it..Screw the plate to the beam.

Comment

Are there other post that also support the main beam and if there are, are they also screw post or are they solid and extend beneath the floor?

A post requires a footing underneathe due to the wieght that's on it. If this is just a jack post then there's no footing beneath it and it's just sitting on the concrete basement floor. If the post is needed to support the house then you should install a footing beneath to give it the support that's required.

I'd suggest asking the seller what the purpose of the post was/is

Comment

that steel plate is just a "bearing" plate. It distributes the upward "power" evenly to the whole surface of the beam. It is not attached to the beam either it being steel or wood.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =