Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodburning Stove Replacement.

Hello,

When we bought our home it included a nice woodburning stove, which is fixated on a raised brick flooring section, against a bricked cornered wall. What we want to do is replace it with a 'glass front' woodburning fireplace that would incorporate an integrated blower. We have seen the kind that we want, and thought that we could have it connected (though, maybe, having to be adapted) to the existing flue piping. Someone, however, told me that this may not be acceptable; that a new fireplace installation might require (by code) new piping. If that would, indeed, be the case, it would prevent us from being able to have as we desire - the associated costs of running new pipe, the length of the chimney, would be prohibitive. If anyone has such knowledge as to whether this information would - r would not - be true, please share it with me.

Advanced thanks.

Nathan

Most places because of the newer wood and coal burning statutes, have a code all of their own. If a chimney is not lined, that is exposed brick or concrete block, then it must be lined with tile or stainless steel inserts and concreted in place. It must extend up above the roof ridge by another four feet to provide adequate draft. Where the chimney extends in the house must not contact wooden structural members, as walls that surround the chimney. Chimney stack temperatures can reach over 600 degrees and wood's combustion begins at 512 degrees. Creosote comes from "green wood" and less so for seasoned wood but is still there. Check in with your extension service to see what you need to do before placing any alternate wood or coal burning apparatus into service.

Comment

HayZee,

Thanks for your prompt, and very informative response. I will definitely have that checked out.

Blessings,

Nathan

Comment

Working...
      X
      =