Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stinky basement

two nights ago we had a really big storm where our power went out for a few hours. we didn't get any flooding, thankfully, that we could find. but now, 2 days later, our basement smells like eggs and it's starting to seep to our first floor through the vents (i'm assuming). i don't really know if it's from the storm, but that's all that has happened recently that i know of that may have caused this. does anyone have any other ideas or advice?

thank you!!!

lauren

do you have any floor drains in the basement? if not then only thing I can think of is the basement sink trap has lost its water seal against the sewer gases. that, or else the sewer line itself the level rose to a point where the grey water bubbled up through the sink trap along with the gas and the stink stayed there until the water level went back down.

Comment

thanks so much for the tips! we do have one floor drain in our laundry room. the smell has lessened considerably since yesterday, so it may just be that the water level rose like you said during the storm. but it's hard to tell if it's really gone away or just changed. the eggyness is definitely not as strong but it seems a lot mustier or something. (we also live in a townhome, if that makes a difference.)
      Last edited by ljk19; 07-21-2007, 10:17 PM.

Comment

being in a townhouse shouldn't be a factor as everybody's sewer terminates in a common waste line at the street. if the town's storm drains also go into the sewer instead of a interceptor drain then when the level goes up, everybody's drain will go up. there is no trap between the town's sewer system and your house. all you got is the stack vent that goes up through your roof.

Comment

well the smell kept going away and is now completely gone. so i'm guessing it must have just been the leftover stink like you said. thanks!

Comment

The above answers are great, and to keep the moisture out, you might want to invest in a few dehumidifiers, especially where it seems really damp. I would also suggest using loads of Febreeze all throughout the house. The ashtray room might need to be totally stripped, painted, and new carpet, furniture and window treatments added. Treat the wood with lemon oil, and that will give the house a pleasant citrusy smell also.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =