Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Oxygen

This does not have anything to do with home repair - just something that has been bugging me. Granted, oxygen is plentiful on this planet, so is helium, hydrogen and other gases. Once NASA generates compressed oxygen and further compresses it into a liquid, do the other gases concentrate themselves? I mean in order to create LOX, the gas has to come from someplace. It's like a tank that you have XXX lbs of helium. You take that gas and compress it, so you are emptying the tank of its helium and making a liquid. Once you compress all of the tank's contents, the tank is empty. Now apply that principle to the atmosphere around us. There's a lot of that stuff around us but you are in reality emptying the atmosphere of oxygen. Technically speaking am I right?

Lox

Nasa doesn't make LOX. It is made by Several differant companies in isolated areas of this country and shipped to them and airports, hospitals and so forth. The thing I think your asking is "Is there other gases in the LOX?" The answer is no. The process in which it is made use what are loosely called scrubers which seperat all the gases into there pure form or are vented out. LOX takes a long time to make. It is made by take ambient air and eventualy compressing into liquid form. In the liquid state it is around 350 degrees below zero and is very explosive when in contact with petrolium products. LOX is also always vented to a degree because it is always turning back to a gas as it warms.

Edward H.
    USAF Aircraft Enviromental Electrician 10 years.

Comment

Lox

HayZee518,
      Your right the process does remove oxygen from the air, but so does breathing, running an engine and so many other things we're fond of doing. The oxygen is replenished in the air by the trees , plants and rocks around us. Sho am gladda dat.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =