Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chlorine/Bleach smell in basement

I have a noticeable chlorine/bleach type smell in my basement, in particular on the stairs that go from the basement to the first floor of the house. The strength of the smell varies. I have not seen any mold yet, and I ran a mold test that has yet to show any positive sign of mold. The basement is generally dry and shares heat with the first floor. The basement has a dehumidifier, a fan and an air purifier. The basement and basement stairs are carpeted but I haven't noticed any dampness. There's no sign of water leakage or damage. The dehumidifier removes a bucket of water from the room about every 3-4 days.

Thoughts on what is causing it and how to get rid of it?

The smell of chlorine does not signify the presence of mold. If you smell cleaning products I would ask other family members (if any are there) if they were using them.

It sounds like you are doing the right things to prevent mold from developing. If you are keeping the relative humidity below 60% and preferrably below 40% you significantly decrease the chance for mold to grow. Mold needs and couple things to grow... spores (which are everywhere), water (either in the air or standing), food (cellulose products like paper, wood and cardboard), stale air, temperature, and time. If you take away any one of these items then you will not have mold growth. If you can figure out how to stop time please let me know!

Good luck, Jim
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
    X
    =