Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Pick Some Lithium Ion Tools

I want to get a new set of lithium ion battery tools. My 12V 10year old Dewalt is starting to go down hill, rebuilt the NiCads twice now.

I am very interested in the Ryobi 18V lithium set at Home Depot. Kit includes a circular, reciprocating, 1/2" drill and light for $269. The batteries are 2.4Ah.

I also just got my Craftsman club flyer. Their 20V lithiums are 2.2Ah. If I get a 1/2" drill, circular, reciprocating and light the total would be $353 after club savings.

Did some research and Craftsman are made by the same company that makes Ridgid and Ryobi are made by the same company that makes Milwaukee.

I am not sure what to do. Ridgid also caught my eye but the 24V lihtium tools are huge and heavy, driving hundreds of dry wall or deck screws cannot be fun with it. My friend ownes the set and they seem heavy duty. Cost of that is well into $400 which is more than I can spend anyways. Also, Ridgid discountinued their set that includes the tools I mentioned above. No one seems to know why. Therefore, Ridgid is out IMO.

What do you think? I am leaning on the Ryobi's due to price and the kit has everything I want. I also know a contractor who has been using them for a couple months and he likes them a lot. He switched from Dewalt. However, I have been told the Ryobi's are built good and won't last long (same with Craftsman).

I also looked at the Dewalt nanos and Makitas but they are too expensive.

Any ideas? I use my battery powered tools just about everyday.
    Last edited by DKAudio; 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM.

Of the battery powered equipments I get here for repairs, DeWalt seems to be No 1. Porter-Cable is No 2. Two years ago I got one Ryobi drill. Replacement batteries for the Ryobi was easy - Home Depot had them cheaper than the Ryobi dealer. For the Lithium-Ion technology I would go with Milwaukee or it's compatible. Craftsman I'm not too keen on. Replacement parts are hard to come by and I usually end up substituting parts.

Comment

Ryobi batteries are cheap comparred to others as well. You don't have much opinion on the tool longevity though? Sounds like you would prefer Ryobi of Craftsman?

I don't know if it makes a difference but Craftsman's 20V lithium ion is in their "Professional" line which I was once told they were built better and more durable.

The Milwaukee looks very nice, however, I cannot find it cheaper than $450 + Shipping. I'm afraid that is more than I should spend. If you know of a cheaper supplier please let me know, I really like those.

Milwaukee Electric Tool - 0920-29, V18™ 4-Piece Combo Kit, Cordless Combo Kits, Cordless Combo Kits, Tools
      Last edited by DKAudio; 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Set is $480 at Home Depot.

Comment

you could get 10% discount off the tool at homedepot.

I have HomeDepot gift card whcih I am selling it 10 % off, email if interested

" giftcarding@yahoo.com "

Thanks

Comment

Thanks but I already got a set.

Comment

milwaukee drills rule

I love my millwaukkee drills and sawzall. I have had both the 28 and 18 volt versions and for most people even the 18 volt is overkill. But if you need one that will last the millwaukee 18 volt with hammerdrill and metal chuck is what use every day to install garage doors and they really last and seem to be pretty durable (till you drop it off an 8' ladder that is)

Comment

Working...
              X
              =