Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Sills

Where normally the bottom side has wood and the rest (3) have sheetrock, can the enterior side of the the window sill be all wood? Don't know or seen any window pics where there is all wood. Will it still need to have sheetrock then wood on top? I'm stupid

Originally posted by jlo96f3 View Post
    Where normally the bottom side has wood and the rest (3) have sheetrock, can the enterior side of the the window sill be all wood? Don't know or seen any window pics where there is all wood. Will it still need to have sheetrock then wood on top? I'm stupid

There is wood on all sides of the interior of the window. Including a wood header at the top.
    What are you trying to do ?

Comment

Yes, there is wood all around the window (aka window frame), but usually sheetrock is applied on top except for the bottom portion where the window sill. We made the frames and then put the windows in so what shows is the frame itself (2x4). What I want to do is put nice wood at the inside on top of the frame.

Hope this helps.

Comment

a window is normally installed from the outside into a rough opening in the framing. it is then levelled [horizontally] and caused to be plumb [vertically] using cedar shims. the inside of the window casing is slightly beyond the framing lumber even with what the finish wall surface is going to be i.e. 1/2 inch sheetrock, 5/8 sheetrock etc. The "rock" is installed to within 1/2 inch around the whole window casing even the bottom. the sill sits on the bottom part of the casing and is fastened. your window molding is installed all around the casing with mitered corners. the bottom part below the sill is a shoe molding that doesn't necessarily has to be mitered, but merely is cut at a suitable angle to make it pleasing to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          a window is normally installed from the outside into a rough opening in the framing. it is then levelled [horizontally] and caused to be plumb [vertically] using cedar shims. the inside of the window casing is slightly beyond the framing lumber even with what the finish wall surface is going to be i.e. 1/2 inch sheetrock, 5/8 sheetrock etc. The "rock" is installed to within 1/2 inch around the whole window casing even the bottom. the sill sits on the bottom part of the casing and is fastened. your window molding is installed all around the casing with mitered corners. the bottom part below the sill is a shoe molding that doesn't necessarily has to be mitered, but merely is cut at a suitable angle to make it pleasing to look at.
          After reading your reply I came to the conclusion that maybe I should get/read more in order to get a grasp on the terminolgy being used. Sorry for the confusion there, buddy. Still a newbe here.

Okay, so as now the only thing that I have is the window inside the framing lumber and the "casing" slightly beyond the framing lumber. There is no sheet rock as of now on either side of the casing. What I want to do is apply wood (extension jamb?) on the inside of the casing. Should I put sheetrock before I apply the wood? Granted, the lip/handle part of the window to lift the window up is only about 2 to 3 inches high above the framing lumber, so having any sheetrock prior the wood would not allow (I think) or limit how think the wood I choose.

Comment

window casing

I hope the following diagram helps you to understand how a standard window can be made to fit a 2X6 wall framing

Comment

Its all coming to me now!

Comment

Working...
              X
              =