Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Inspections

Okay, the townhouse I purchased last year required a lot of work and as follows: replacing all exterior siding & windows, removing dividing wall between kitchen and dining room, adding a dividing wall between dining room and living room (this will have double pocketed french doors), 80 percent interior walls were replaced with new insulation and dry wall, new vanity and showers in both bathrooms, all new doors (7 total), new kitchen cabintry, new wood flooring across entire home, and new roof shingles.

I obtained the permit last year and since I cannot understand the scope and details in the code compliance book, when is the best time for a inspection? Pretty much all work is done. All exterior siding, interior walls, dividing wall, vanities, shower, doors and windows have been replaced. Where would the inspectors main concerns be directed towards? According to the manual it seems that everthing needs a profesional since everything has to be in code. I don't want to be in violation for anything. Any help?

as far as inspections go, the majority of towns require two inspections. one for the "rough in" that is before the finish is applied, and the final inspection - after the finish is applied. the "rough" inspection is to provide the inspector with reason to believe that the structure is sound enough for occupancy. the finish so that the dwelling can ve occupied.

Comment

So is there any chance of them saying, "Well, since I cannot see behind the drywall to see if the correct insulation, then I suggest you take off the drywall." ? Just worst case senerio here.

Comment

I don't think the inspector's will make you take off the drywall - that's absurd. just to see insulation ........ what they're concerned about is structural soundness. Most inspectors aren't real hard core. I mean if you are constructing a new room and before the flooring is put in place [this is a rough inspection point] they may check to see that the cupping of the joists is up not down. or that you have a jack stud where the beam needs it. Lintels over doors and windows need to be an engineered beam to support the framing above it and distribute loads across a span. Trusses are an engineered product to spread out loads across a span. Don't get paranoid - I'm sure there won't be a problem.

Comment

if you had to do ANY plumbing or electrical, i would bet you that hte inspector will make you tear down teh sheetrock. seen it MANY times before. you removed walls, so there are structural elements there that may need checkign as well.

Comment

The county inspectors where I live will usually look the job over pretty good until they get to know you and the work you do and if you follow the code books. The other counties around Me have inspectors that are to rushed to do a good job, they dont have the time and some dont care as long as they get to raise your taxes. Depending what type of inspector you have will determine if you have any problems, I have seen them make a contractor tear a completed garage down because it was too close to the property line. Good luck, If you are worried call a locale contractor and ask him what the inspector is like

Comment

Working...
            X
            =