Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to repair track on bottom of sliding patio door

The track on the bottom of my sliding glass patio door is bent and worn on the latch side of the door. It run the length of the door, embedded in the bottom of the door. It's lined with felt and keeps the door riding smoothly atop the metal riail in the frame bottom. The door now tends to slide off the rail unless you push it and keep it atop the the until it closes. I've tried searching the net and the local harware stores for a replacement part, wth no luck. The only name I've been able to find on the door is "Guardian".

check out these three sites for your glass door bottom track. allaboutdoors dot com, allglassparts dot com and swisco dot com. give you someplace to start.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      check out these three sites for your glass door bottom track. allaboutdoors dot com, allglassparts dot com and swisco dot com. give you someplace to start.
      I checked all those sites but could not find the replacement part I'm looking for. I just talked to a co-worker, who coincidentally tried replacing the same part a few years ago, and he said he also was unable to find the part, and he replaced the entire door instead ! I think I'll wait until the spring, pull the door out and see if I can repair the track by hand. I'm guessing a wheel went bad and the door began to wander off its track, and after repeated attempts (by the former owner of my house) to move it, the track got damaged. I'll replace the wheel (if needed) and rebuild the damaged part of the track, using a little wood, glue and a metal shim, if necessary.

Thanks for your help !

Joe P.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =