Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laserdisc player keeps blowing fuses

Hi, here is my problem. I have a 110V laserdisc player and living in Australia I accidentally put it in a 220V power supply which blew a fuse. I can't find a 110V fuse so the guy at the local electronic store said I could use 250V fuse as long as the ampage was the same but everytime I switch on the fuse just blows. Have I been given the incorrect information? Or is my player dead? please help me if you know about this stuff.
    Also I didn't notice any smoke or anything when this happened, it just wouldn't turn on and the new replacement fuses burn out instantly. Also I am using fast blow fuses
    Last edited by Dave74; 08-31-2009, 10:07 AM.

Fuses in electronic devices like that are really more for preventing a fire in the case of a failure than actually protecting the device from damage. Even in the absence of smoke, I'd be willing to bet something toasted when the device was exposed to 220V. Since the fuses you're putting in should be plenty big enough but are still cooking off, it's looking like it fried itself into a short-circuit. It might be time to take it to the repair shop or replace it.

Sorry for the bad news.
    If man makes it, man can fix it!

Comment

I can't help but think maybe it's an incorrect fuse. The original fuse looks like it has a different material inside the glasse where the replacement fuses only have a wire. Could it be that I have fast blow fuses and I should have slow blow?

Comment

whatever the amp rating stamped on the shell is what you should use. the voltage rating means what voltage can sefely be used with it. slow blo fuses have a thermal time delay built into the material. if there is a short, an overloaded condition the material will melt or open to protect your circuit.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =