Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old-style toilet dilemma

Hello, new to this site. Just bought my first house, which is 30 years old -- as are some of it's fixtures! My problem is with our bathroom toilet, which shows all the markings of being the original.

When the toilet is at rest, I hear a constant dripping sound, but see no visible sign of water moving, either in the tank or in the bowl. I thought it might be a leaky flapper -- this toilet contains a presumably old style model, which has the flush valve (I think this is the right name) mounted on top.

Whenever I apply pressure to the flush valve (and therefore the flapper), the dripping noise stops. Incidentally, there are occasional air bubbles coming from the fill valve on the left.

My own gut feeling was to just remove the tank and replace the old-style flapper with a modern one. However, the tank is held in place not by the traditional two tank bolts, but three -- in a triangle formation, and the one nearest the wall is hard enough to see, let alone attack! Also, these bolts are held together by nuts that are immovable and look oxidised. Would it be safe on the tank and toilet to try to remove the tank bolts from inside the tank? The previous owner clearly didn't fancy this project because he remodelled the bathroom floor, but just moved and stuck back the old toilet back untouched and in one piece!

Curiously, the downstairs toilet (still a 1981 model) still has the same old-style flapper, but a modern fill valve.. and there is no dripping sound. Should I just replace the fill valve and see if that resolves the problem? It would also mean not removing the tank, as well.

I know it's probably a no-brainer for users here, but I'm just trying to learn and ultimately not have to buy and install a new toilet! Any help would be appreciated.

the flush valve you refer to is called a ballcock. there are clearly two types of ballcocks. one is the traditional float type [black or brass ball] and inverted cup type. both are replaceable with the tank mounted to the toilet. I wouldn't even try to to take off the tank unless there was obvious leakage between the tank and the bowl. The overflow pipe is part of the tank to bowl seal. There are two brass bolts and gaskets holding the tank to the bowl. Between the tank and bowl is a neoprene "doughnut" It fits over the threads of the overflow pipe and seals this connection when the closet tank bolts are drawn up tight. The closet flange is secured to the floor with screws. the closet flange has slotted openings at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock positions for the closet bolts. Purpose of these bolts is to secure the toilet bottom to the waste pipe. In between the toilet and flange is the beeswax ring which is a gasket for waste and water. The ballcocks - shut off the water supply. remove the 3/8 inch gland nut, remove the 1/2 inch gland nut. unscrew the nut on the bottom of the tank. ballcock should pull right out. assembly the new ballcock in reverse order.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =