Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-closing hinge stopped working

The back door of our house has what I believe are called "self-closing" hinges and until recently it would close on its own when not held open. Each of the two self-closing hinges (the top and bottom ones) has a hole on its side and each hole had a pin (really just a nail) in it.

Not long ago, though, the nail / pin in one of them snapped off and the door stopped closing on its own. I took the nail out of the other one to see if there was anything "special" about it but as best I can tell it really was just an ordinary nail. Unfortunately, I'm now not able to replace the nails / pins in either hinge's hole; whenever I try something prevents me from inserting a new nail. If that were happening with just the one that snapped off I'd assume that it's the broken piece of nail still in there that prevented me from inserting a new one, but I also can't re-insert a nail in the other hinge from which I removed the fully intact nail.

So my question is this: does anyone know what I need to do to be able to get nails into the holes so that the door will close on its own again?

P.S. I don't know if this is relevant or not but the door is apparently also not very well balanced because not only doesn't it close on its own now but it actually swings to fully open when not closed.

so go to a hardware store and buy a new set of spring loaded hinges.

Comment

My mistake; I thought I was in the "Home REPAIR Forum"

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      so go to a hardware store and buy a new set of spring loaded hinges.
      I see; I guess that's your helpful way of saying that you have no idea how to answer my question.

Comment

the spring has a tang on the inside which mates with a pawl on the hinge body. that holed wheel tensions the spring. the pin that broke "nail" has a shoulder on it - its like a pin with a shoulder in the middle. when the outer part breaks, the rest of the pin is inside the holed assembly and is rough job to remove. the wheel "just" rotates enough so its almost impossible to advance to the next hole.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =