Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a basement window with Cinder Blocks

Scenario: My house is on a small hill. The front yard is level and it slopes down the sides and in the back is a walk-out basement. Here is my issue.

On one side, next to the garage door, is a deep hand-made window-well and a large basement window. In order to accomodate, the builder graded the side yard next to that window towards the house. The one good thing is that there is a drain leading to a big drywell.

A few times the drain has plugged and the water has rushed so hard into the well that it has gone up to the window.

I want to remove the window, fill it with cinder blocks, waterproof the outside, and backfill with gravel and clean fill.

I have mixed a lot of cement but have never done cinder blocks. Is it easy? I know you mix it kind of thick, butter the bottom, etc. How do the sides get filled in? I'm afraid I won't be able to get a mason for such a small job and I'm relatively handy and like to do things myself.

Thoughts? Should I just hire someone?

Thanks so much!!!

butter the bottom, then fill the sides and top once the block is in place. Yes, you do make the mix a little thicker.

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I think I will need to cut one row horizontally. Do I rent a wet-blade saw or something? Or etch it with a stone chisel then smack it?

I appreciate the help!

Comment

You cannot "smack" a cinder block for the most they shatter, you can rent a concrete cutter but a cheaper option would be to buy a masonry blade at Lowe's or HD for your 7 1/4" circular saw. Run a cut all the way around the block. (It will be dusty)

Add a little dishwashing liquid to your mortar mix 1/4 cup to a 60lb bag of mortar should work well, it makes the mortar a little more sticky so when you butter the ends it tends to hold onto the block. This will make life much easier for your first attempt at block.

If removing the window is only to alleviate the water run off, you could raise the window well height enough to be able to re grade the yard so water runs away from the house.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks so much for the resonse. very good advice. I have considered raising the well but I think the best option is to get rid of the window. I appreciate it!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =