Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Dust collector basics?

I’m building my dream machine shop extension to my garage and am interested in putting in a dust collection system now while I am finishing the ceiling. I know nothing about these systems and have a few really dumb questions I hope someone can help me out with. Since the dust generating equipment will need to be along one wall mostly I am thinking about two or three blast gates mounted on the ceiling itself with a single trunk line going into a collector mounted in the attic. A short run, less that 14 foot and the collector will be mounted just at the top of the attic stairs for ease of cleaning. Am planning a dedicated 20 amp circuit and a wall mounted switch. I will probably also run another 14 foot trunk line parallel but about 12 foot away just in case I ever need to install more dust generating tools. Does this sound about right? I realize it will be a bit awkward to put the gates on the ceiling but I can live with that. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Earl.

leave the main trunk line open and put the blast gates at each machine that feeds into the trunk. use a t-y off the appliance into the trunk. you don't want clogs in the main line. when running the dust collector always leave the gate open furthest from the collector, or use a floor sweep T at the furthest end.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I guess my question was more concerned with putting the blast gates on the ceiling and the use of two trunk lines. Having never seen one of these systems I wanted to know if I was on the right track. Earl.

Comment

I have a dust collector system in my garage. the system is a double bag affair - one just used for the vacuum, the lower one actually traps the chips, etc. the inlet is 4 inch and is directed into the center of the impeller, the volute goes around the outside and then down and out. I have a twenty five foot 4 inch round galvanized trunk line. joints are sealed with duct tape. inlets are from a tablesaw, turning lathe and a thickness planer. blast gates are at each machine. the tail end has a blast gate and a floor sweep which is just a register boot turned sideways. floor sweepings go into the floor sweep, up and overhead and into the chip box. I could just dump the dust collector into plastic trash bags and keep changing the bags or into a chip box and empty it every month or so through a hatch at the bottom.

Comment

Do you have the blast gates mounted on the wall or ceiling? Is there any difference? Thanks, Earl.

Comment

right in the ductwork within a foot of the tool [machine] not fastened to any wall.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =