Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Fiber in Master Bedroom

My daughter has a problem in her home with some kind of pink fiber showing up on the tops of the dresser and chest. She has had this for sometime but we cannot figure where it is coming from. The other rooms do not have this dust like fiber. She can dust the tops of the bedroom furniture and in 3 days you can look across the tops and see a slight red or pink colored dust fiber layer.

What could this be and where is it most likely coming from.
    Thanks
    jrh

What color is the insulation above this room?....seems like a stretch that insulation is getting sucked into the room from an attic but that's about the only thing that would be screaming out "pink fiber"
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Insulation

Thanks pushkins for the comeback. We had thought of the insulation too but don't see how it could be getting in. Our other thought was if the flexible duct could be bad and allowing insulation to break loose inside it. The system also has the fiber board type of main tunnel. The house is 14 years old. Could the main tunnel be breaking down inside? Is the main tunnel made out of pink fiber inside?

Do you know if anyone who could analyze the fibers and tell us if they are fiberglass? I thought about looking at them under a scope with some known fiberglass for a comparison and see if they match up.

Comment

Some brands of flexible ducting will have pink insulation wrapped around them and then encapsulated in a cellophane membrane and some are yellow.

Some older trunk lines had insulation on the inside usually it was in panels and gray to black in color. now all new trunk lines have the insulation wrapped around the exterior, this helps a great deal with clean air (you can imagine how dirty the older ones got) and with insulating capacity of the lines as well as condensation issues.

Is the problem only occurring in the one room or is house wide ?
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I think I'd suspect the ducting too. I once had a duct cleaning company refuse to clean my ducts because their process would break the lining and allow insulation to be blown into the living areas of the house.

Perhaps she had a similar situation where the ducts were cleaned at one point but they didn't pay attention to the type and or age of the ducting.

Comment

Insulation in ducts

Thanks for the reply. What we are going to do is cover the 2 registers in the bedroom with some white cloth and catch what comes out of the duct.
            If we get nothing then we will know that it is not the duct work. It is only in this 1 bedroom. It should not be the main trunk line because it only affects this 1 bedroom. The ducts lines have never been cleaned.
            jrh

Comment

Working...
            X
            =