Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foundation Repaired -- What do I look for now?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation Repaired -- What do I look for now?

I am a first time homebuyer and new to home improvement and I could use some help with this one.

We bought a house in June 2009, a 1940's cape cod. To make a long story short, one of the footers was cracked in half and the rest of the front of the house started falling over the course of the past year. the brick was starting to crack and there are several cracks now. This condition was not disclosed to us prior to sale and we're exploring our legal options.

I had a few foundation companies out here and ended up installing 10 helical piers into the foundation to stabilize it. The foundation company is handling repairing the brickwork outside. They recommended waterproofing, but I did not have the money to do so at this time. Right now I am working on getting the gutters repaired and making sure proper drainage from them is happening, as the shifting caused them not to work right as well.

There are cracks in the basement floor, and was recommened I use Sika self leveling sealant to seal those, and the walls I am handling hairline cracks with standard spackling and sanding before painting.

But I am curious as far as the bigger cracks (one is about 1/2" and is opposite to where the brick outside cracked, should I be using a more heavy duty compound, if so , what?

Also, I have some cracking in the garage and since it gets subjected to more extreme temperatures, what materials should I look into?

Would anybody recommend I get the house re-inspected so I have a detailed report as to its current condition after the damage has been done, or should I save the $400 and just put that toward repairing the house.

I think I caught this early enough that the damage could have been a lot worse, as I have not found any plumbing leaks. However, I have been having the breaker in the living room thrown a few times in the past few months. Should I look further into this?

Also, any advice as to what I should be looking for as post-foundation shift damage would be appreciated.

So far home ownership has not been fun for me... but I feel once I get over the mountain the downhill ride will be better.

Thanks!

Before you invest in any "inspection monies" after the fact, talk to legal council, they may advise you that any inspection "after" work has been done is pointless as now someone has worked on the property, who actually was responsible for what and what was done and what was actually done can be interpreted any number of ways, not to mention what the condition prior to work started was. Once work starts the "actual condition" prior to work becomes very blurred in legal eyes.
    Most times legal action needs to be started well before work starts and many times it's conterproductive to start it at all before judgment.

Your using spackle to fill cracks on the inside of the basement what are these walls made of, are they finished drywall or block ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      Before you invest in any "inspection monies" after the fact, talk to legal council, they may advise you that any inspection "after" work has been done is pointless as now someone has worked on the property, who actually was responsible for what and what was done and what was actually done can be interpreted any number of ways, not to mention what the condition prior to work started was. Once work starts the "actual condition" prior to work becomes very blurred in legal eyes.
      Most times legal action needs to be started well before work starts and many times it's conterproductive to start it at all before judgment.

Your using spackle to fill cracks on the inside of the basement what are these walls made of, are they finished drywall or block ?
      I fixed the foundation as it was really starting to shift and it seemed like every day I would see a new crack. It couldn't wait.

the walls of the house are plaster and those are the ones I am going to spackle. In the basement I am using Sika self leveling sealant for the cracks in the floor, and was looking into epoxy for the cracks in the walls. would this work?

I'm under the impression that the work on the plaster is more cosmetic than anything else, am I right?

Comment

Are the plaster walls finished directly over the basement walls or is there framing with plaster over that.
        Do you have brick/block basement walls and these walls are rendered on the inside ?
        Either way as long as you have eliminated the foundation movement then you should go ahead and repair the internal walls. If the walls are plaster on a stud wall frame then drywall compound would work, if the walls are rendered then your going to need to use a masonry plaster.

Make sure you address the gutter issue as well, the water needs to be directed well away from the foundation area, as well grade the area to fall a min. of 6" over 10' away from the house.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
          Are the plaster walls finished directly over the basement walls or is there framing with plaster over that.
          Do you have brick/block basement walls and these walls are rendered on the inside ?
          Either way as long as you have eliminated the foundation movement then you should go ahead and repair the internal walls. If the walls are plaster on a stud wall frame then drywall compound would work, if the walls are rendered then your going to need to use a masonry plaster.

Make sure you address the gutter issue as well, the water needs to be directed well away from the foundation area, as well grade the area to fall a min. of 6" over 10' away from the house.
          Thank you for the information. I contracted gutter replacement (previous owners did not have an adequate gutter system and one the downspouts drained right into the foundation -- one of the major issues we dealt with.

hopefully this will be the end of it, although hanging doors is proving to be really difficult.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =