Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bugs killer - rodent repeller

I have what I have always called kaydeedid's in my crawl space, these are basement crickets... no idea what they are really called. Anyway... what can I use to kill them and keep them from coming back....?
    What is a good rat/mouse repellent? When I bought the house I found that the house was over run with rodents, and I poisoned the house and cleaned up everything after wards, and had nothing in the house that I could find. The other night I heard something in the attic sounded like chewing... would have had to have been a large rat or squirrel. I went and bought a new tub of poison and put some out int eh attic, and then today I saw a mouse or young rat in the basement on top of the main trunk ducting eating a piece of poison left over from the first time I put the poison out. So I am now thinking my house is infested again.... something I was told years ago is that for every one you see there are 100 that you dont.... the mouse in the basement ate the entire poison block so I put some more out today..... Waiting for the stick to tell me it is doing its job now. Anyway... I want to put out something that will repell the rats and mice from even wanting to come into my home. I do have a cat in the house and a dog in the basement who does go out into the yard so i have to be careful of where I bate. It would be nice to be able to use something that will work on the rodents but not bother the pets....

D-Con bait traps work but it takes time. d-con has warfirin init which makes the mouse/rat bleed uncontrollably from the inside. snap action traps placed on your trunk lines will get them. use peanut butter on the trip lever.

Comment

Originally posted by vaughan1974 View Post
      I have what I have always called kaydeedid's in my crawl space, these are basement crickets... no idea what they are really called. Anyway... what can I use to kill them and keep them from coming back....?
      What is a good rat/mouse repellent? When I bought the house I found that the house was over run with rodents, and I poisoned the house and cleaned up everything after wards, and had nothing in the house that I could find. The other night I heard something in the attic sounded like chewing... would have had to have been a large rat or squirrel. I went and bought a new tub of poison and put some out int eh attic, and then today I saw a mouse or young rat in the basement on top of the main trunk ducting eating a piece of poison left over from the first time I put the poison out. So I am now thinking my house is infested again.... something I was told years ago is that for every one you see there are 100 that you dont.... the mouse in the basement ate the entire poison block so I put some more out today..... Waiting for the stick to tell me it is doing its job now. Anyway... I want to put out something that will repell the rats and mice from even wanting to come into my home. I do have a cat in the house and a dog in the basement who does go out into the yard so i have to be careful of where I bate. It would be nice to be able to use something that will work on the rodents but not bother the pets....
      My wife use to raise birds in our rough basement and we got over run with mice. I did not want them dieing and stinking up the place. We sold out all the birds. I trapped for a while but made no gain on them. Everyone said i was nuts when i bought 6 electronic things that plug in a 110 outlet. They take a month to start working but in a few months the mice were all gone. I have a cat and dog and it didn't bother them at all. Electronic mouse drives them away. Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul52446m View Post
        My wife use to raise birds in our rough basement and we got over run with mice. I did not want them dieing and stinking up the place. We sold out all the birds. I trapped for a while but made no gain on them. Everyone said i was nuts when i bought 6 electronic things that plug in a 110 outlet. They take a month to start working but in a few months the mice were all gone. I have a cat and dog and it didn't bother them at all. Electronic mouse drives them away. Paul
        is that what they are called? Electronic Mouse?
        I had a couple birds a few years back in my garage and found a few mice eating the birds food. I tracked them down and killed each mouse one by one and then sold the birds. Bugs and rodents are two things I will not live with... I have threatened a land lord once that if I got cock roaches in the apartment complex I was living in, I would burn the place to the ground. Needless to say, he kept a bug guy there every month like clock work.

As for the first reply.... I dont have any problem with killing them... the rodents I mean. I buy the poison baits at StockDales in a 4 pound bucket. It is "BONIDE NO ESCAPE" brand is like $20 for 32 2oz blocks, the blocks are like 1x1x3 inch green with bird seed embeded into it, and it is supposed to be Molasses and peanut butter flavored.... It does the job, it is pretty much the same thing as the DCONN but sold for industry/farm and is much cheaper for the amount you get.

My main focus to to repell them from wanting to come into my home. I know right now it is warm in here so they want to come in from the cold out there... If the thing that Paul mentioned works and I can get a few of them, then that would be what I need.

Paul, you said you bought 6, how many square feet did you get 6 to cover? a few per level? how did you arrange them?

Comment

to get rid of them permanently you've got to seal off any means they have to get in. use fine screening and foam in place insulation. mice have been known to squeeze through openings as small as a 1/4-1/2 inch! Once your house is sealed then you can eradicate what's in there. take a look at past issues in the hgtv guide - that guy from louisiana that takes care of pests - billy - something.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =