Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold in my attic (picture)

My home functioned as a summer camp for much of it's life, until I moved in three months ago. For some reason the previous owner had put plastic sheeting over the attic vents. Being a dummy, I didn't notice until it was too late and a large amount of condensation had formed in my attic. I reopened the vents and blew a fan up there for about a week, and most of the moisture seems to be gone. However there is now a lot of mold on the rafters. I'm not sure if it was present before I dried it out or not.. I didn't see it if it was. It isn't moist to the touch, and will flake away if I brush at it, leaving no trace behind. I think it might be dead but I would like to be sure. Here are some pictures to show you what it looks like.

That doesn't look to serious, make a mix of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and put it in one of those hand help spray bottles and spray it over the area (use a mask) you don't need to flood the area, for the most bleach kills mold on contact. You can do the same thing with the mixture applied by a sponge or rag etc...
    You should keep the insulation away from contact with the underside of the roof sheathing as well, you can buy at Lowes and HD baffles that slide up against the roof and keep a gap between the insulation and roof decking material. they cost about $1.00 each.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =