• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Dishwasher - New Leak at bottom of door

Dishwasher new in Oct. 2006.

DU850swp02

FT3028751

Leak developed yesterday after my wife did a load of dishes. I checked the vent, cleaned it. I also checked the float and cleaned it (it still clicks audibly, I'm without a volt meter, but water level is below the heating element).

What strikes me as odd is the fact that there seems to be no gasket on the bottom of the door. Should there be one? Or is there one? Or is this just part of the design? The leak seems to start from the center and goes to the left (as I face it). The right side is not leaking.

We use the dish tabs from Sam's Club. I tested with no soap and it still leaks.

I replaced the timer a year ago as it stopped working reliably.

Last night I pulled the dishwasher out completely and pulled the large drain hose off looking for a plug. There was some buildup of junk on the impeller, but nothing too bad. I actually thought the sink had started leaking, but it turns out that the door on the dishwasher is the culprit.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Leak developed yesterday after my wife did a load of dishes.
    When exactly does it leak? during wash (spraying), draining or maybe even when just sitting there?

What strikes me as odd is the fact that there seems to be no gasket on the bottom of the door. Should there be one?
    Not usually no. Dishwasher doors are not sealed water tight. At the most there will only be a splash guard there. Water should never fill to be over the front tub lip.

The leak seems to start from the center and goes to the left
    Are you sure it isn't maybe coming from inside the door and dripping down to that point?

If that is definitely not it, water could be being forced over the lower splash guard and out the door due to the spray arm not spinning properly. If the arm jets stayed facing the opening too long, it should create wave action allowing tub water to get over the tub lip and out onto the floor.

I tested with no soap and it still leaks.
    Any signs of suds in the water? Sudsing can cause intermittent leaks out the door.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

It leaks pretty much the entire run. I pulled the front panel off of the door, and can see where the water is surging over the lip. There is definitely a wave action occurring.

No sudsing. When I ran it with no soap last night, the water was clear.

What would cause the arm to stay facing the front too long?

Appreciate the help!

Comment

What would cause the arm to stay facing the front too long?
        It can be caused by the arm not turning freely on its axis, possibly binding as it turned. Some of the arm's ports being clogged could also cause it to spray in odd directions causing leaks.

LINK > Whirlpool DU850SWPQ2 Lower Spray Arm

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

leaking tub?

I found once that the leak was from the float assy housing. there is a plastic nut on the housing that passes through the tub and it was loose., snugged it up( carefull- its plastic) and that elusive leak was cured. good luck-- Eric

Comment

in the bottom corners of the tub are two plastic seals. if one of the sidewalls isn't plumb to the washer bottom, this will leak water. the door seal goes up one side, across the top and down the other side. there is no gasket seal at the bottom of the door just a flexible plastic diverter sheet.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =