Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KitchenAid Dishwasher sump leaking

HI All,

We have a 15 year old KitchenAid model KUDS23HBWHO that is leaking. I took the front panels off today and cycled the washer on for about 20 sec and during the fill cycle the water started dripping out around the sump base and the motor.

Turned the DW off and looked inside - the water level was only 1/2" in the bottom of sump. So pumped the water out and dried with paper towels. Also there is crud around the pump base I cleaned up.

Inspecting the pump/seal/drain connections I see no leakage from there and the water is coming out around the perimeter tub to pump seal.

The question I have are the four swivel tabs # 26 in the print holding the pump in the sump. One tab is acutally loose (gap betweeen the tub and tab) and I tried to tighten these up but they seem to fairly tight already so has the tub seal shrank or worn out?

Is there any way to tighten or put more tension on the sump seal with these tabs? Should I also do the pump seals when I replace the sump seal?

Any other tips or tricks to doing this job?

Thanks in advance

has the tub seal shrank or worn out?
    I don't know about being worn out. There isn't any wear and tear on it except from removal of the pump. The gasket can however be affected by age and conditions (temperature changes, chemicals, etc.) though and commonly needs to be replaced.

LINK > KitchenAid KUDS23HBWH0 Pump Gasket

Should I also do the pump seals when I replace the sump seal?
    If there was no evidence of it leaking through the main seals, I myself wouldn't tamper with it. You never know what other problems you might run into.

LINK > KitchenAid KUDS23HBWH0 Impeller and Seal Kit

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan

I suspect it is a combination of the cold (its on an outside insulated wall) metal tub and the seal and then age.

Just to clarify the tabs on the motor that swivel, it would seem that when the seal is or was new there should be some tension on these tabs to the metal tub - correct?

So, in my case with a gap between the swivel or locking tabs to the metal tub the seal has lost it's elasticity due to age and time? What I am getting at could I shim between the tab and the metal tub increasing the pressure on the seal? More as a process of elimination/verification?

I have ordered the seal and thats a task for later this week or weekend.

Carl

Comment

it would seem that when the seal is or was new there should be some tension on these tabs to the metal tub - correct?
        They should hold the pump firmly in place, yes.

a gap between the swivel or locking tabs to the metal tub the seal has lost it's elasticity due to age and time?
        That's the only reason I can think of, yes.

could I shim between the tab and the metal tub increasing the pressure on the seal?
        I have never tried it but you could if you wanted. I don't see any harm.

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Update Feb 17th

Well the seal arrived Tuesday PM so tonight pulled the hoses off and popped the pump up through the bottom - really easy job.

So I inspect the seal and see some rust marks and crud, then look inside the tub.

Guess what - the tub (porcelain) has rust perforation around the ring seal about 4" was pitted 1/8" wide x 4" long and two spots rusted thru, then near the heater another large pitted area the size of a quarter with a 1/8" hole was completely rusted thru.

So got the JB Weld and sand paper, sanded the ring seal area and the quarter sized spot, then put some duct tape behind the perforated areas, and cleaned with acetone then mixed the JB Weld and applied with a flat stick then smoothed out once applied.

Its curing now (24Hrs) then will sand down the welded areas and put some vaseline on the seal and reinstall.. I've got the pump seal ready to install so its a 20 minute job now to get back and running again. Just hope the weld job works on the holes. I think it will due to good sanding and cleaning - fingers crossed!

This is a temp repair - meant to last until we redo the kitchen in 12-18 months, so tomorrow night I reinstall and water test!

Carl

Comment

Working...
          X
          =